Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

So I made a big decision while staring at my intake manifold and the hacked together mess I call a fuel rail.... I dont want that potential fire hazard on my car anymore.... I am currently looking into a budget alternative to the expensive aeromotive kits, it appears that LS1, LS6 fuel rails are a direct fit onto a SBF... lucky me because for some reason they are also much cheaper.
SNE-850005 holley rail kit $115 8an stuff
SUM-227152 summit rail kit $100 6an stuff
Both of these will fit my custom intake manifold and look good doing it, that leaves me with the decision of a fuel regulator.
Summit Racing SUM-220066 - Summit Racing® Aluminum Fuel Pressure Regulators
Aeromotive 13129 - Aeromotive Universal Bypass Regulators
MagnaFuel MP-9925-B - MagnaFuel EFI Fuel Pressure Control Units

Now i am going to need lines fittings ect....
the sizes will depend on the fuel rails we choose but this i think is a start. 6an stuff can easily feed my fuel needs.
Fragola Performance Systems 491986 - Fragola Performance Systems EFI Adapter Fittings
Fragola Performance Systems 491985 - Fragola Performance Systems EFI Adapter Fittings
Summit Racing SUM-230615 - Summit Racing® Stainless Steel Hose
Summit Racing SUM-220636B - Summit Racing® Tee Adapter Fittings
Summit Racing SUM-220690B - Summit Racing® Hose Ends
Summit Racing SUM-220687B - Summit Racing® Hose Ends
Summit Racing SUM-220641B - Summit Racing® Couplers
Summit Racing SUM-220166B - Summit Racing® AN O-Ring to AN Adapter Fittings

Most of you guys know alot more about this stuff than i do @CarMichael Angelo if you were putting together a kit how would you do it/am i missing any pieces to this puzzle??

If at all possible i want to keep this in the realm of budget friendly but i dont want to cut any corners either.

• Sponsors (?)

So I made a big decision while staring at my intake manifold and the hacked together mess I call a fuel rail.... I dont want that potential fire hazard on my car anymore.... I am currently looking into a budget alternative to the expensive aeromotive kits, it appears that LS1, LS6 fuel rails are a direct fit onto a SBF... lucky me because for some reason they are also much cheaper.
SNE-850005 holley rail kit $115 8an stuff
SUM-227152 summit rail kit $100 6an stuff
Both of these will fit my custom intake manifold and look good doing it, that leaves me with the decision of a fuel regulator.
Summit Racing SUM-220066 - Summit Racing® Aluminum Fuel Pressure Regulators
Aeromotive 13129 - Aeromotive Universal Bypass Regulators
MagnaFuel MP-9925-B - MagnaFuel EFI Fuel Pressure Control Units

Now i am going to need lines fittings ect....
the sizes will depend on the fuel rails we choose but this i think is a start. 6an stuff can easily feed my fuel needs.
Fragola Performance Systems 491986 - Fragola Performance Systems EFI Adapter Fittings
Fragola Performance Systems 491985 - Fragola Performance Systems EFI Adapter Fittings
Summit Racing SUM-230615 - Summit Racing® Stainless Steel Hose
Summit Racing SUM-220636B - Summit Racing® Tee Adapter Fittings
Summit Racing SUM-220690B - Summit Racing® Hose Ends
Summit Racing SUM-220687B - Summit Racing® Hose Ends
Summit Racing SUM-220641B - Summit Racing® Couplers
Summit Racing SUM-220166B - Summit Racing® AN O-Ring to AN Adapter Fittings

Most of you guys know alot more about this stuff than i do @CarMichael Angelo if you were putting together a kit how would you do it/am i missing any pieces to this puzzle??

If at all possible i want to keep this in the realm of budget friendly but i dont want to cut any corners either.
I always draw a line flow chart so I can count what, and where each fitting needs to be/go.

cool i was just doing that in my head...
what regulator did you use?
I'm using a Mallory regulator.
1526558294165.png

Guess where I got it from?

Didn't get very far today but the pistons are in! Gapless rings take alot longer to file correctly but I hope it will be worth the effort involved.
20180520_165754.jpg
pieces of rubber hose help keep the rod off of the cylinder wall and the bolts wont damage the crank either. This method makes the rod self centering on the journal. If you have never used one of these tapered piston compressors I suggest you buy one for your next rebuild, i will never use the adjustable type again.
20180520_172128.jpg

20180520_174715.jpg

20180520_165528.jpg

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users
Tonight I decided to begin the long process to degree the cam in, first I had to find TDC..... this is where my macgyver instincts kick in. Que picture of redneck piston stop.
20180521_213446.jpg
yes that is a power steering pump bracket used as a piston stop. Dont judge me.

Moving on.... I used a dial indicator to measure the cam lift .05 on either side of max lift. Measured lobe lift came in at .359 so I took my degree marks at .309 on each side of the lobe.
20180521_215536.jpg
20180521_215558.jpg
of course the pictures are out of order but you get the idea... 151+69=220
220÷2= 110* centerline. Just where the cam card says it should be.
I dont have any clay so I'm done for the night....

Reactions: 3 users
Degreeing a cam is a PITA but it can make or break a combo.

It's pretty nice seeing you get that thing together with some purdy parts.

This is modeling clay :rolleyes:
20180522_222837.jpg

This works better than playdough because it does not act like a sponge and puff up when the valve pulls away.
20180522_223256.jpg

A generous amount gets pressed in to the valve reliefs, I sprayed a small amount of wd40 on the piston top and valves so they dont stick together.
If your wondering 'what's with the tape' that is to protect both surfaces as I did not use the head gasket during this check. I figured if the PTV is good no gasket the .039 I add with one is just that much better.
20180522_224456.jpg
those are some big valve indentions!
20180522_224638.jpg
well I know the valve wont bottom out but it is kind of close to the edge of the relief, adding the gasket will move it away some hopefully it will be enough. Radial clearance should be .05 according to the internetz.
20180522_224831.jpg
a quick shot of the exhaust pocket.

What do you guys think?

Reactions: 1 user
Today I bolted on one head and painted the other.... but progress nonetheless.
20180523_223842.jpg
The good stuff, $78 each... they got a light coating of copper spray as recommended by the machine shop.
20180523_232948.jpg

Look at all that new Ford grey glory... ARP head studs did the job this time final torque spec 80lbs.
20180523_234401.jpg

Using my homemade solid roller lifters I checked the pushrod print.... the valves are 2 different heights i know they previous shop mixed Ford and Chebby length valves.....
The exhaust looks stellar, nice clean narrow patch. The intake isn't bad but could be better, those of you in the know how much longer of a pushrod would I need for the intake side? Can i run these? Help a guy out.

Today I bolted on one head and painted the other.... but progress nonetheless.
20180523_223842.jpg
The good stuff, $78 each... they got a light coating of copper spray as recommended by the machine shop.
20180523_232948.jpg

Look at all that new Ford grey glory... ARP head studs did the job this time final torque spec 80lbs.
20180523_234401.jpg

Using my homemade solid roller lifters I checked the pushrod print.... the valves are 2 different heights i know they previous shop mixed Ford and Chebby length valves.....
The exhaust looks stellar, nice clean narrow patch. The intake isn't bad but could be better, those of you in the know how much longer of a pushrod would I need for the intake side? Can i run these? Help a guy out.
leave it alone...they're centered on the valve tip. besides, you said that you have two different length valves,...who here has that same thing, and who's gonna know what length PR to recommend in light of that?

And uhhhh....
Everytime I've talked w/ Cometic, they wanted the gasket installed dry.

leave it alone...they're centered on the valve tip. besides, you said that you have two different length valves,...who here has that same thing, and who's gonna know what length PR to recommend in light of that?

And uhhhh....
Everytime I've talked w/ Cometic, they wanted the gasket installed dry.
Cool so centered is centered then, ill take it.

The gaskets were purchased through the speed shop that did my machine work, Jeremiah recommended the light coating so that's what they got. His shop has 8 engine stands that are always full he uses cometic gaskets on everything and always does it this way.. Sooo when he said to do it I took his much more experienced word for it.

Reactions: 3 users