Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

I could have been more, thinking back i did drive it around all day... the odometer in the datalog says 7miles, that however is a bit of math i am still working on. looking on google maps and tracing the drive path I drove the car about 20 miles.

• Sponsors (?)

Low oil pressure will not kill bearings,......no oil pressure does...did the log reflect that?
9 Qts of oil would have so much crank windage, that I'd think the engine itself would've clued you in..
( think about it, the crank would constantly be plowing through an ocean of oil....it shoulda been way off on power)
how did you measure the amount of oil that came out of the engine?

Low oil pressure will not kill bearings,......no oil pressure does...did the log reflect that?
9 Qts of oil would have so much crank windage, that I'd think the engine itself would've clued you in..
( think about it, the crank would constantly be plowing through an ocean of oil....it shoulda been way off on power)
how did you measure the amount of oil that came out of the engine?
I have all of it in a drain pan, I will have to get something to measure it all out into to give you an exact amount. the oil was full all the way up to where the dipstick says FULL... thats about 2" 2.5" up past the hash marks

UPDATE: went and talked with the manager, he used to be my boss many years ago and we sat and BS'd for a little bit. Then i told him what was going on and showed him the pictures, he admitted that there is mostly new staff and the 'pit guy' has made mistakes before. They are going to pay for the towing to get the car up to the other shop they own, I will be with them when the K gets dropped and the oil pan removed so we can do an inspection. It has to go to there location in order for the insurance to pay the warranty claim. They will pay for the parts and labor and i get to make sure it all goes in correctly.

Brian didnt even blink when i told him what happened, he said he has no reason not to believe me. lol He said i am very 'particular' person.

Hopefully this will be resolved quickly without hassle.

Lets not get hopeful yet, If i did make a mistake building the engine all eyes will be there to see it. So lets hope its not my fault.

Reactions: 4 users
UPDATE: went and talked with the manager, he used to be my boss many years ago and we sat and BS'd for a little bit. Then i told him what was going on and showed him the pictures, he admitted that there is mostly new staff and the 'pit guy' has made mistakes before. They are going to pay for the towing to get the car up to the other shop they own, I will be with them when the K gets dropped and the oil pan removed so we can do an inspection. It has to go to there location in order for the insurance to pay the warranty claim. They will pay for the parts and labor and i get to make sure it all goes in correctly.

Brian didnt even blink when i told him what happened, he said he has no reason not to believe me. lol He said i am very 'particular' person.

Hopefully this will be resolved quickly without hassle.

Lets not get hopeful yet, If i did make a mistake building the engine all eyes will be there to see it. So lets hope its not my fault.

Whew. That's gotta be a load off. I know you weren't looking forward to digging back into that thing.

It's potentially NOT a simple bearing replacement.
When a metal part fails, and leaves you with the equivalent liquid sandpaper running around the oil system, every friction surface is compromised. It happened to me. The cam failed in my first 460 build, the lifter flattened, and all of that fungoo ran through my oiling system for about 20 minutes..
When the engine was tore back apart, every bearing was embedded, the crank was scored, and the oil pump was dead.

The block has the remnants of that metal filled oil still in the rest of the engine....all this to say that you have more than a re-bearing job in front of you.

Reactions: 1 user
It's potentially NOT a simple bearing replacement.
When a metal part fails, and leaves you with the equivalent liquid sandpaper running around the oil system, every friction surface is compromised. It happened to me. The cam failed in my first 460 build, the lifter flattened, and all of that fungoo ran through my oiling system for about 20 minutes..
When the engine was tore back apart, every bearing was embedded, the crank was scored, and the oil pump was dead.

The block has the remnants of that metal filled oil still in the rest of the engine....all this to say that you have more than a re-bearing job in front of you.
I hate to agree for Steve's sake, but I agree.

Good thing I pulled the engine, crank is not terrible but will need to be turned. It has some black scuff marks on it from metal contact. I am waiting to put it on the stand and do the full disassembly I need a couple cans of break clean to douche it down with before I roll it over.

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users
Good thing I pulled the engine, crank is not terrible but will need to be turned. It has some black scuff marks on it from metal contact. I am waiting to put it on the stand and do the full disassembly I need a couple cans of break clean to douche it down with before I roll it over.
Cam bearings Steve..they're hurt too.

Soooo......We need an update