Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

• Sponsors (?)

I got the block torn all the way down that a certain thief of cars so graciously provided me. If it were not for the small blemish in the cylinder wall of #4 this engine would be perfect. The bearings even looked good enough that if not for the needed machine work this thing would just get new seals and put back together.
Possible shop drop off in the morning.

Reactions: 1 users
Well block is officially being worked on, after some measuring he told me to order .03 over pistons and to bring the rods and crank when they come in. I do love progress.
Big decision do I have the wrist pins pressed or should I have them bushed for floating pin? Likely to never see over 6500rpm

Well block is officially being worked on, after some measuring he told me to order .03 over pistons and to bring the rods and crank when they come in. I do love progress.
Big decision do I have the wrist pins pressed or should I have them bushed for floating pin? Likely to never see over 6500rpm
You have them pressed. I just went through this with my machine guy. He said that more and more guys are choosing not to have it done due to the negligible gain vs expense of bushing the rod. Money on a rod is much better spent making sure that there are good bolts in there, considering stock 5.0 rods come with bolts slightly larger than a chicken-peen. (5/16). And, ( don’t tell Collin) having the big end re-sized after that process.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Mike

Does anyone have a preferred head gasket? I am thinking i want to run the felpro 1011-2 but i dont know the difference between the 1011-1 and the 1011-2 looks like a copper vs steel ring in the gasket???? can anyone shed some light on this

I have heard the block and heads must be perfect for these to seal, is there any truth to this? The cost for these is much higher than a standard style gasket almost twice as much are they worth the extra cost?

Yours is coming out of a machine shop. That should be clean enough. It doesn't require the same prep as Cometic gaskets but I do believe that is an adhesion spray that's recommended. Been a long time.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-uHQX9s4Wo

I had a care package waiting for me today:rock:
20180322_195505.jpg 20180322_195720.jpg 20180322_195735.jpg
Don't think I have to worry about breaking these.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users
OK so i am going to talk with the shop and make sure they can surface the block and heads to a maximum RM of 50.... about 800grit sandpaper is the equivalent.. this is what is recommended by all MLS gasket companies. If they cant then i will run a felpro gasket.
Is anyone running a gapless second ring? i am thinking about using these https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tsr-t9090-35
the top ring is ductile iron and the second is a gapless cast iron ring. i have read good things.

Still no progress, I went and picked my stuff up from the first machine shop. Didn't feel comfortable after the guy said "you don't have to balance the engine..."

I replacing the pistons..... so your definantly not doing my machine work.

Reactions: 1 user