Fox Free Aluminium Roller Heads.

88mustang on a budget

I wear daisey dukes tank top and boots for work
Jan 25, 2016
Hello guys and gals.. I just scored a pair of aluminium hears with rocker roller arms. You see i had this privacy fence given to me. In hopes that i would one day have a fenced in back yard.... Lol yeah it sat in my garage for 2 years taking up valuable room my 88 could take up. A man wanted it and had these heads he didnt want. So we traded.. Now after all that long pointless rambling i have a question. How can i tell if these are any good. I know nothing about cylinder heads. Im very new to cars. But i love them. Im addicted. I found out i have an 87 truck motor block in my 88 gt so not the 50 ho i was told it was.. But i digress.. Help me figure out if i have good rollers and heads and valves if you can. The videoa i watch are just confusing.

• Sponsors (?)

The only pics i have at the moment idk what to take a pic of so just request or point me to the right places
received_1081947935177993.jpeg
received_1081947978511322.jpeg

The heads do not have a large hole in the flat area where the accessory drive brackets mount. That means the heads have no smog pump passages. If you do not live in an area where there is emissions testing, that is not a problem.

This is what I am talking about; notice the red circle on the face of the head.

1592206551_61249cacf1.jpg

Last edited:
We won't be able to tell you from looking at them in pictures. At first glance they appear to be a cheaper head, like a patriot, procomp or sve. The best bet is to have them looked over by a machine shop.

You will most likely need a milling, valve job and springs at minimum (depending on cam), along with a good cleaning. At worst, they could need seals, guides, valves and seats. If they were free, take them to be checked out.

Joe

Reactions: 3 users
We won't be able to tell you from looking at them in pictures. At first glance they appear to be a cheaper head, like a patriot, procomp or sve. The best bet is to have them looked over by a machine shop.

You will most likely need a milling, valve job and springs at minimum (depending on cam), along with a good cleaning. At worst, they could need seals, guides, valves and seats. If they were free, take them to be checked out.

Joe

Didn't the old tfs heads have no markings?

Reactions: 1 users
You may be right about that. A better shot of the combustion chamber might allow us to tell if theyou are twisted wedge heads.

Joe
Look at the rockers. They look staggered to me. May be twisted wedges. Heck of a free set of heads if they are.

Reactions: 1 user
okay that's all really good info but the only markings I found were sn 60 95 on one side and a few single numbers in the corners by the rockers. ive cleaned them up a bit to try and find other numbers no luck.... but I have more great newsssssss I just acquired a true 5.0 HO block with crank and cam. no heads. some pistons that fit bored over 40 block. not one but 3 sets of upper and lower intakes (GT 40, Cobra, and your HO intake sets) along with 3 sets of injectors going from 19lb to 24lb. a spare (stock HO crank) a 70,55, and 75 mm TB. msd dist. and tons of other stuff... AAALLLLLLL FOOOORRRRR FREE!!! like wtf? from this guy I just met that used to build them but don't have foxes now. and is moving and wants to get rid of his clutter.

Reactions: 2 users
i will tomorrow. I'm gonna strip head down take all the arms off. but this is my first time doing any of this. I'm new to the car world. always was fascinated. ive learned a lot. but still lost.

They look kinda like early TFS 170's based on the staggered rockers and I agree you need to get them to a machine shop to check them all out... Good score on that stuff.

Oh yeah im not putting them on anything till they are checked but its dirt track season here in the kck and atchison and topeka area so machine shops are busy as hell. Plus i have a daughter due in two days. I plan to bore the 302 block over 40 put the pistons and upgrade the cam and bearings. Ect but ive gotta sell and make some money first. Ill get pics of my hual soon ive been working 14 hour days at the farm. We are short a handed.. Lol like always.

Okay found out they are the trick flow twisted wedge 170cc aluminum heads with the ford SVO 1.60 rockers. All for 11 used privacy fence panels... Now im very nervouse there is something wrong with them. The guy said he is putting a stroker kit on his and these came right off went in the shop and sat. He didnt have money but had these i didnt want money wanted parts. Hope all is well with them. Think they would go good on a 308?