Front and Rear Window Installation

Has anyone tried installing their own windows on the front and back? If so, any tips or tricks you know of or even installation guides on how to do it, would ge GREATLY appreciated.

I just called for a quote to have them both installed. Mind you.....I already have the glass and the seals brand new. I just needed some body who has the glue and knows what they are doing. They wanted me to bring the car to them for 2-4 days and were going to charge me $300. That seems a bit steep to me!! :nono:

Any suggestions? I would still just rather pay somebody to do it so I know it is done right, but not for that much.

Or am I just being a cheap arse? :)

• Sponsors (?)

I assume it's a '67 by your username. Place the gasket around the windshield first. Then use a caulk gun and window sealant to place sealant under the gasket around the entire perimter of the window. This is a little difficult as the gasket is going to want to move on you. Be patient. Allow the sealant to dry.

Next day, put a 1/4" rope around the interior lip of the gasket that will meet up with the metal frame/lip of the windshield opening. Both ends of the rope should be about 3 feet long at both ends and should exit the bottom of the windshield lip. Again, before laying the windshield in the opening, place liberal amounts of sealant around the gasket perimeter (same that the rope is sharing; you may want to put the sealant in first, I don't remember) Once the entire perimeter is full of sealant, place window in opening trying to put the bottom gasket onto the metal lip first as a starting point in the middle. Once you have that started, pull the rope. It will bend the gasket lip and pull it to form around the metal lip. Do this around the entire opening. You'll want a second person pushing LIGHTLY on the outside of the windshield glass while pulling on the rope. This will keep the process going smoothly. It will get messy. Have stuff for clean-up near you. If you push too hard on the glass, it will break (did this two times).

Make sure you put you molding clips on first before you put the windows in as it will be difficult once the glass is in place and in the way

Hope this helps as its been about 8 years since I've done it. :nice:

A very recent Mustang Monthly or Mustang & Fords had a good tech article about this. Anyone know which issue?

It's really pretty easy to do. With a bare car (no glass in to start with, headliner installed) I could have front & rear glass in, sealed, and cleaned up (the time-consuming part) in a couple of hours. I've done it a gazillion times though. The point is, there's no reason for you to pay someone to do it, and it'll make a fun, character-building Saturday experience.

Don't pay someone that kind of money.:eek: I did my 66 2+2 over 20 years ago with help from a friend. Geostang351 is right on w/directions, key tips are; liberal amounts of sealant, a second person, messy, and molding clips on first. Only thing that may make things easier would be suction cups to carry the glass, but they are definitely not necessary. You can do it.

I'd pay someone to do it (my attempts on my 68 resulted in leak after leak after leak and trust me, I used very liberal amounts of sealant.) But $300 is absurd. I fact, I'm getting ready to pay someone to do it to my '66.

I greatly appreciate the input. I definitely am going with option B and going to give it a shot my self. I thought the headliner was going to be crazy, but I got that dang thing in my self!

Hopefully, like Reen said, since the car has been freshly painted and the window openings are pristine, it will go pretty smooth. I will definitely follow the step by step process laid out here as well as read up before I try it.

Thanks for the information!!! GREATLY appreciate it!

Since you were successful doing the headliner yourself you should definitely be able to do the glass install yourself. Believe me; you’ll be better off doing it yourself. My Dad had a “professional” shop install a new windshield on his 66 and it leaked badly. They used sealant but it still leaked. I did it myself years later and it did not leak. It’s really a poor design and is prone to leaking so if you install it yourself you have a more vested interest in making sure it doesn’t leak. Geostang351 nailed it so if you follow his advice you should be fine. You definitely need a second person and make sure they don’t push too hard while you are pulling the rope. I cracked a windshield once myself. I felt pretty dumb when I did it but I’ll never make that mistake again…at least I hope not since I just replaced my headliner and am about to install the glass again.

keep the car for 2-4 days too?:jaw: If they know what they are doing, than can do both windows in a couple of hours. I had my front windshield done on my 5.0 by a shop and I watched while they did it. Was done in about 45 minutes, and it cost $150 including the new windshield, and I'm in the bay area where labor is more expensive

keep the car for 2-4 days too?:jaw: If they know what they are doing, than can do both windows in a couple of hours. I had my front windshield done on my 5.0 by a shop and I watched while they did it. Was done in about 45 minutes, and it cost $150 including the new windshield, and I'm in the bay area where labor is more expensive

I called a couple of places and that is the cheapest I could find it, $300 for JUST installation, no glass!!!!! Unbelieveable. I wonder if it is just the Seattle area?

The only thing I can think of on the time frame was that they let it dry for twenty four hours or something and test it for leaks. Who knows.....that is still ridiculous. :shrug:

I paid a local company around $260 and change to do mine might have been a bit cheaper don't recall at the moment. That included them supplying the front windshield and installing both front and back glass and all of the chrome trim. The owner of the shop came to my house with 1 other fella and it took them about 4-6 hours. They were pretty meticulous about not making a mess. I didn't think that was such a bad price.

I paid a local company around $260 and change to do mine might have been a bit cheaper don't recall at the moment. That included them supplying the front windshield and installing both front and back glass and all of the chrome trim. The owner of the shop came to my house with 1 other fella and it took them about 4-6 hours. They were pretty meticulous about not making a mess. I didn't think that was such a bad price.

Including the glass? I would be stoked for that price!! :nice:

Including the glass? I would be stoked for that price!! :nice:

:D Yea it was pretty cheap. They actually canceled my appointment the first time, trying to get me to take it to them. Being uninspected, having no trailer, and no glass in made that kinda hard. They also tried to get more money from me but I paid them when I made the appointment. Apparently the guy that took my order thought you just glued it in and were done. I didn't expect them to do the crome, but the owner was a mustang fan and said he would honor the price i paid and do the chrome install and everything. He said he had a 65 fastback. So it was all good.

:D Yea it was pretty cheap. They actually canceled my appointment the first time, trying to get me to take it to them. Being uninspected, having no trailer, and no glass in made that kinda hard. They also tried to get more money from me but I paid them when I made the appointment. Apparently the guy that took my order thought you just glued it in and were done. I didn't expect them to do the crome, but the owner was a mustang fan and said he would honor the price i paid and do the chrome install and everything. He said he had a 65 fastback. So it was all good.

Well I couldn't get that lucky! I did call another place and got a quote for $175 installed, but they made it very clear that they would not warranty any of their work, which to me, give me a break......you are just telling me you are going to do a crap job. So needless to say, my plan is to still do it my self. I will chalk it up to a good learning experience.:D

I was going to try it myself, considering I ain't gonna be drivin it in the rain anyways, but I had to buy a windshield and those guys put it all in with the trim for less than I could get a front window shipped to me with all of the caulk for it. But I digress.... Good luck.