Front brake coolers for early Mustangs....................with Granada discs.

Opentracker

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Feb 4, 2004
One of the tech. things they ask at the track is to tape off the headlights. Well if I can't use 'em for lights, why not use 'em for brake coolers. I looked around and most of the cars at the track had the R model front end, I don't see a lot of air going to the brakes with this set up. Cheap as I am, I decided to take the headlights out and make brake coolers out of 'em. The lights go back in for street use.
Photo 1 Rock chips and all. A finished '65 grill, re-born as a piece of brake cooler screen. The headlight plug is down to the right.
Photo 2 Is the dust shield with a center cap from a early American Racing wheel, cut down to fit the brake duct tubing. It's not good to have air blowing on the inside face of the rotor. Like my 3" exhaust tubing doing the transision from alum. tubing to high temp. stuff. Sorry..Poor photo
Photo 3 Back side of the headlight area. This car has glass fenders but you can do it to most any early Ford.
Photo 4 The path over the UCA.
Photo 5 Through the spindle. It will get springs and wires to hold it in place.
Photo 6 The piece of 3" exhaust pipe I welded to the back.
Cheap and easy. I got the high temp hose from AFCO and the alum. tubing from Home Depot along with the flashing to mount it all to the fender. It cost under $100. The high temp. hose from AFCO cost the most.

What do you think?

John

• Sponsors (?)

Nice work, John. I have some tubing set aside to do this for mine, but Im not sure its flexible enough now that I see how convoluted the turns are. Just have to see.

How long does it take to put the headlights back in for street use?

Here is my set up.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

frontbrakes1.jpg