Front Calipers

1hot87gt

5 Year Member
Mar 17, 2017
New York
Doing a brake job on my 87 GT. Does anyone know of any calipers that can be used that are better than stock replacements without having to change things like brake lines, master cylinders, 95 spindles, etc. Have all stainless brake lines and the master cylinder is new as well. I’m just looking to upgrade over stock units. I can’t seem to find anything.

• Sponsors (?)

None.

73mm SVO calipers are the only bolt-on caliper, but the change from 60mm to 73mm calipers requires a MC swap to be worthwhile. I don't believe there is a proper MC for this swap (since it was never factory) so the end result is substandard pedal feel. If you leave the stock MC in place, your stroke becomes longer on your brake pedal, meaning there's a chance you could bottom out your brake pedal and still not achieve full clamping force with the 73mm's. A 7/8" bore from an early Mustang could work, but it would require replumbing the brake lines to install.

The main issue with stock Fox brakes isn't the calipers (up front) but dealing with heat. The rotors are puny, and integrating the hub in as part of the rotor design works to retain heat longer which means faaaade. Since you can't put bigger rotors on the fox spindle, you are SOL.

Just pick a good set of pads, keep your fluid fresh and try not to get too much heat building up in those front brakes and you'll be in good shape.

Reactions: 1 user
Get some higher temp pads if you drive it hard and fade is a concern. I use PFC's, decent at track but don't bite real well in cold. Get fresh fluid in it, I flushed mine after every track day.