front disc brake conversion kit

jac

May 20, 2019
memphis NY
I am looking to convert my 65 mustang 289 automatic's drum brakes to front disc brakes. There are many options out there with many different price ranges. Can anyone recommend a good kit?

• Sponsors (?)

the factory style kelsy-hayes four piston caliper kits are good ones, and in expensive these days. opentracker racing and chockostang both have kits available a reasonable prices, and great customer service after the sale. national parts depot also has these kits at reasonable prices and great customer service as well.

Wilwood has a classic fit 4 piston setup. I put these on the front of my 68 Shelby GT 350. Figured if Shelby American is replacing the stock Ford discs with Wilwood, that is good enough for me. And price wise those were similarly priced to the KH knockoffs. Huge improvement over the original Kelsey Hayes single piston on the car. And they look great. The bolts on the spindle are sized to replace a drum brake set up. Had to drill out and tap my stock disc brake spindles. Apparently all these disc brake kits are for drum brake up grades. That was the only issue we ran into. The Wilwoods fit very nicely in 15" Shelby ten spoke rims. Actually a bit smaller than the KH I took off. If I recall Wilwood said those classic fits discs will fit a 14" rim. Bought the Wilwoods through CJ Pony. I attached 2 pictures. The first image is one of the KH knockoffs the shop was putting on a 66 Mustang next to mine. Forget which repro. The second pic is my car with my Wilwoods. Both of us owners acquired the brakes and took them to this shop for installation. Shop owner had my car in and out long before he finished the other two classic Mustangs he had in his shop. And both were there before I brought my car to him. He told me neither of those other kits was a simple bolt on like my Wilwoods were. He has to customize the installation. The other two Mustangs had two different KH reproductions

Attachments

• 20170616_173918.jpg
    20170616_173918.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 3,027
  • IMG_0164.JPG
    IMG_0164.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 2,461
jac, one more thing to consider, if you are willing to step up to a 17 or 18 inch wheel, then mustang steve has brackets available to use the larger 13" or 13.2" brakes used on later model mustangs. the brackets are reasonably prices, and the parts are readily available, and everything bolts to your stock spindles.

I am looking to convert my 65 mustang 289 automatic's drum brakes to front disc brakes. There are many options out there with many different price ranges. Can anyone recommend a good kit?
I did just that front power disc brake kit from SSBC perfect. Stay away from Chokotang poor quality parts and when they fail you have to send back at your expense. Never heard of such a thing send back defective parts at the buyers expense.

Dittos on the mustang Steve 08 GT conversion brackets. These things are 100% first quality. Just did them front and back on 65 289 car. Must upgrade to 17" or larger wheels and also MUST watch back spacing and clearance for caliper. Legendary wheels area pita to fit

Attachments

• IMG_2460.JPG
    IMG_2460.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 793
  • IMG_3100.PNG
    IMG_3100.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 795
Reactions: 1 user
Thats a good looking rim.
Thanks! They are Scott drake legendary wheels. 17x8. 4.75 bs. Look great in car but don't leave much room behind the spokes for disc calipers. I did the mustang Steve 08 GT at every corner. Had to run .25" spacers all around and had to grind calipers a bit at each corner. Now they fit and look "right" on the car but was a bunch of work. I think torque thrusts would have fit out of the box so to speak

Reactions: 1 user
I just built it from front to back for a buddy of mine. Took just over a year in my spare time. Turned out pretty sweet. Body and interior was real good when I started. All mechanical is brand new. Learned more about old mustangs than I ever thought I would know! Lol

Attachments

• IMG_1155.JPG
    IMG_1155.JPG
    282 KB · Views: 696
  • IMG_2926.JPG
    IMG_2926.JPG
    448.3 KB · Views: 694
  • IMG_2928.JPG
    IMG_2928.JPG
    507.6 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG_3153.JPG
    IMG_3153.JPG