Front Disc Brakes For 82

• Sponsors (?)

I think the 82+ brakes are slightly bigger. Not 100% sure but believe some 79-81's have smaller than 10" front brakes. That would translate to being heavier.

I believe 1982-1986 is 10" on v8 and 4cly (except SVO) and the SVO and 87+ v8 are 10.9" rotors.

87-93 4cyl got the 82-86 10" brakes.

I have a 79 Capri, original 5.0 and it and my 82 have exactly the same size rotors. The 82 was originally a straight six car. I have an 83 parts car, and (have not measured it recently) but I think it has smaller front rotors and brakes.

Just wanted to see what experience was. If they are lighter, I might swap to lose a few pounds off the 82 hot rod.

Agreed. Low mass brakes are really only good for one time use, like at the end of a drag strip run. Then they require cooling off in the pits.

On a street car, bad idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I have two complete four cyl cars. Just thinking out loud.

My 82 was originally a straight six car, and has the same brakes as my 79 5.0 car. The brakes worked fine many years ago when I was putting it together and still do. Odd, but the donor 80 Capri 255 v8 car had the small front brakes which was another reason I did not swap them at the time.

Need to do a manual brake swap first.

More or less looking to the tube crossmember later on.