front end problem uneven tire wear

Josh79

Sep 7, 2005
South Dakota
well i have had a vibration that could be felt through the steering wheel, pedals and even the floor. it is weird it would only do it around 55-70 mph. well i noticed the tires are wearing unusual. the tires feel tight there is not play in em in n out up n down etc. i have heard a slight pop when starting from a stop going slowly (might be exhaust but i doubt it) the last few days. tomorrow im gonna setup an alignment (they will also check balljoints etc so hopefully find any problem) and get a couple new tires put on (im selling it actually so its kinda ****ty but o well). it had an alignment a couple years back bcuz i put on mm c/c plates and balljoints etc were supposedly ok.

here is a pic of the tire
DSCN0035.jpg

so what would cause the tire to wear like that. its really wearing on the edges and its not very even its very "choppy" too. would balljoints do that? its sitting until i get it aligned/fixed and get new tires bcuz the one is showing chords on the inside :eek:

• Sponsors (?)

Agreed, alignment looks like it's really off. Have the shop tell you what the alignment is before and after. A worn ball joint could cause a popping noise I believe, but shouldn't cause wear like that. Worn front bearings might, tho. I believe they would affect the alignment too.

If your tires are underinflated they will wear on the outside first. You should keep your tires somewhere between 30-35 PSI. I fill mine to 32PSI when they get under 30PSI.

Our cars have a tendancy to eat up outer tie rod ends too. Not sure if that's your problem, but it's a common problem with SN cars.

Kurt

i am getting the alignment done first thing before i even put tires on it would be dumb to get new tires then worry about alignment. i was just wondering if anyone here knew more about front end and odd tire wear and could give me an idea what the problem is. The thing is there is no playing in the wheel/tire. i can pull and push it every way and it doesnt budge. i was figuring it was a wheel bearing or balljoint but everything is tight. maybe it is just a bad alignment. they have been @32 psi so thats not a problem

i am getting the alignment done first thing before i even put tires on it would be dumb to get new tires then worry about alignment. i was just wondering if anyone here knew more about front end and odd tire wear and could give me an idea what the problem is. The thing is there is no playing in the wheel/tire. i can pull and push it every way and it doesnt budge. i was figuring it was a wheel bearing or balljoint but everything is tight. maybe it is just a bad alignment. they have been @32 psi so thats not a problem

Either Toe in or out (depending on what front the tire we are looking at) and most probably a wheel balancing issue.

Don't do the alignment with the worn tires. Put new ones on (balanced) and get an alignment that day if possible.

For the alignment here's the specs that I would suggest:

Toe In: 1/16" max
Camber Angle: -.25 Degree negative left and right (could be higher (up to -1*) for more agressive driving
Caster Angel: ( if you have CC plates) 3 Degrees positive otherwise it's non adjustable.

i was wondering if wheel balance would cause that kind of wear because its just not the inside or outside its both and they are very choppy not the same the whole way around. Its the passenger front which is a little worse than the drivers.

the alignment is being done at the same shop that is putting the tires on so it will be taken care of at the same time and its sitting in the garage until tues when i take it too the shop. i wish i didnt have to put $300 into it because i am selling it but o well. now it will have 2 new tires. i was just curious what someone who knew about alignments thought the problem was.