Front end squeak Steering rack, or tie rod bushings?

JohnyD05

Founding Member
Mar 17, 2002
Massachusetts
I have this squeak/squeel in the front end of my mustang I hear the noise when i am turning the wheel,wether the car is moving or not, or when i am going straight ahead and i hit a bump i can hear it. For a while i thought it was the steering rack. But someone suggested to me that it might be the tie rod bushings or something like that, I don't know a super lot about the front suspension. So i was wondering If anyone else has had this trouble and what needed to be done to fix it. Also if u know what parts are needed to fix it.
Thanks very much
John

• Sponsors (?)

I have the same damn trouble! I couldn't explain it any better than you did. This just started happening a few days ago on my 03 GT 5sp coupe. Friggin embarassing when you're driving somebody around in a 24K car.

tie rods

hey guys don't worry about it there is two ways to fix this common problem, either slit a hole in the rubber boot and shoot in some lube or you can go to pepboys and by two new tie rods for 70 bucks and have somebody throw them in it's pretty cheap. If your handy you can do the job yourself but I would just have somebody throw them in that has a lift. FORD didn't use greasable fitting for there bushings so everybody will run into this problem at some point!

The problem is the BALLJOINTS, everyone symptom you described is what i went through! Get those replaced first! And i can bet its only the ball joints, there probably are about to seize, if you drive with it like that your wheel can fall off, trust me its not pretty!

Yeah, before anyone does this make sure its not the ball joints cause of the risk of something bad happening. But yesterday i just slit a hole in my tie rod ends and shot some white lithium in there and the squeek is gone! thank you lord...

I have this squeak/squeel in the front end of my mustang I hear the noise when i am turning the wheel,wether the car is moving or not, or when i am going straight ahead and i hit a bump i can hear it. For a while i thought it was the steering rack. But someone suggested to me that it might be the tie rod bushings or something like that, I don't know a super lot about the front suspension. So i was wondering If anyone else has had this trouble and what needed to be done to fix it. Also if u know what parts are needed to fix it.
Thanks very much
John

It's the Rack and Pinion Bushings!!! My '04 GT squeeked from day one. Pulled out the 2 bolts (1 at a time) and coated the bushings with thin film of lubriplate white grease. There is a TSB on this problem since I fixed mine. Haven't had a squeek in 3 years! It's a simple fix - just don't remove the second bolt until you re-install the 1st bolt. It's not the tie rods or the ball joints!

Reactions: 1 user
mine does it towards the passenger side of the car when i go in my driveway (steepnes) or when i turn the wheel fast while im going a few mph... had the bushings replaced once... worked for a week.... if i know where to lube it, i would just do that..... i recon il do mine when were doing the kmember.