Fox Front End Weight?

Bill88Stang

Founding Member
Mar 8, 2000
Palm Coast FL
Does anyone know roughly the front end weight of a 89 mustang gt? 302 without p/s and battery in the trunk. Car is carbed but I will be putting back ac in it. Stock k member and control arms with 15x3:5 welds in the front and it has cast iron heads. I'm looking at tires for the front and just making sure the tires are up to the task of holding the weight. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Cant testify as to the weight bias up front, but even if you can find some 650/15 VW tires, they'll still be up to handling the weight of the car.
The whole freakin car only weighs 3200-3400 lbs stock, and you've removed a bunch of stuff. Even w/ 60% up front, that's still only around 2000 lbs, yours will probably be even less.

If you plan only driving it down the racetrack and back to the pits, the small tire size isn't much of an issue.

Street driving is a whole other problem because over 85% of the braking is done by the front wheels. Skinnies up front and street driving don't go together in any shape, form, or fashion.
There are times when stopping power is more important than go power. I have never heard of anyone getting in a serious accident because they couldn't accelerate soon enough, but there are lots of serious accidents because someone couldn't stop soon enough.