Front Hub Assembly Removal

Picked up my parts at the Ford parts counter on the way home from work and to the Honda dealership. Yeah, I gave money to two dealerships today...

They had the hub bearing assembly and one of the dust caps in stock. Ordered the retaining nut and other cap. Those dots on top are dabs of antiseize.

View attachment 486840

• Sponsors (?)

dosent look too difficult but 258lb/ft of tq is a lot :eek: ive got to replace my passenger side front this spring on the 95 when it comes out of storage.

what problems is yours giving you now klilgore? mine sorta like clicks and makes a wierd noise if i take left hand turns really hard (noticed it autocrossing this summer)

There is play in the wheel when I grab it and try to move it. Up and down play only, no side to side. Also, humming/moaning going around corners and premature tire wear on the inside edge.

Looking at the hub bearing assembly now that it is off the spindle I see that it is totally shot... Grinds even...

Alright, here a few more pics of engine, new hub, and rotor. I totally cleaned up the inner and outer faces of the rotor with a cupped wire wheel mounted in my drill. I also cleaned up the threads on the spindle with a wire wheel. I used brake cleaner and a rag to clean up the machined surface of the spindle. The new hub bearing assembly is so much better, the old one was shot. All I need now is the bearing retainer nut which will be at the Ford parts counter tomorrow.

View attachment 486432

View attachment 486434

View attachment 486436

Hey Kilgore, Glad to see you got that problem figured out and fixed. I remember a while back you posting about that and wondering what it was, some people said ball joint but i was tellin you it sounded just like my wheel bearing and that seems to be the case....anyway its nice to know its all taken care of now. BTW nice clean engine bay :)

Ryan

Thanks Kovacs!

I just finished test driving the Mustang after completing the installation. SO MUCH BETTER!

Even that moaning I THOUGHT was my power steering pump is gone! WOOT!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Oh, and having proper wheel bearings sure makes a diff in handling and steering, who woulda thunk? :D

There is play in the wheel when I grab it and try to move it. Up and down play only, no side to side. Also, humming/moaning going around corners and premature tire wear on the inside edge.

Looking at the hub bearing assembly now that it is off the spindle I see that it is totally shot... Grinds even...

Kilgore,

Wanted to verify the up down type of play. I was rotating my tires and noticed that on my driver side I can hold one hand at the 12 (top) and the other at 6 (bottom) and get some movement back and forth. Is this similar to yours?

Funny thing is the driver side was in a wreck and have a feeling maybe they pulled the dust cover off to check things out. Possibly aiding in the failure.

Either way I might have a bad bearing. Car now has 101K and the wreck was at 42K.

Thanks

up and down movement with hands at 12 and 6 is a bad bearing, side to side movement with hands at 9 and 3 is a tie rod. if you put a prybar under the tire, and lift up and the tire goes up its a bad lower ball joint. ford allows for .030" play in the ball joint, measurable by a dial indicator on the top of the ball joint.

I think it would be pretty hard to overtighten 250 ft-lb (I believe that is what it called for), unless you have a 2+ foot breaker bar. Plus, you should be using a torque wrench.