front left locking up

AUBURN1111

Founding Member
Oct 17, 2000
Mobile, AL
Hey I was just wondering about those of you that did the 5 lug conversion using new style brakes if you have run into any problems with the front left wheel locking up. I have a nice smooth spot on mine and its seems pretty easy to get it to lock up. I thought I had heard Matt90GT made a reducer of some sort to go on that brake line to reduce pressure and even it out up front?

Someone point me in the right direction :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

i dont know about your conversion. i can tell ya that the left front will lock up first on stock brakes as it is a straight run from the M/C to the brake.

good luck and bump for ya.

Are you using the stock MC? You would benefit from a new MC and a 3-2 port conversion.. matt90GT sells the conversion fittings, or you could probably piece one together.

The stock MC has 3 ports.. one for the rear wheels and one for each front wheel.. this is a bad design and can create the problem you are having now.. unequal front brake pressures.

Most (if not all) other MC's use a 2 port design, one for rear brakes and one for front brakes. Hence the 3-2 port conversion.

87gtconv said:
Left front lock ups? My right front locks up premature ever since I modded to bigger Lincoln calipers and 93 Cobra MC with mod kit from Maximum!
Ditto, its always been my right front to lock up first since I got the car. This has been with stock 10" and 11" brakes, and 3-4 different sets of brake pads.

I have the same problem. I kept the drums out back when I did the five lug conversion, and my left front will lock up a little quick. I've practically begged Matt for advice, but he hasn't been very helpful. In my experience, if I you ask him an involved question, he just quotes his site (which I read a dozen times already) and gives short, non-specific, smart-assed answers. The last three emails I sent never got responses. On a more positive note, I did improve my braking situation by adjusting the backs a little tighter and loosening the adjustment screw on the booster a turn. It took some of the sponginess out. I can live with my brakes now, but I wish they were a little better. I think the ultimate solution is to use the '93 cobra M/C and do the 3-2 port conversion, gutting the stock proportioning valve and installing a manual front-rear valve. I still don't know if the stock '93 booster will work with the '93 cobra M/C. Maybe some of you guys can answer that.