Front Suspension

Mr44666

Founding Member
Jun 6, 2000
Las Vegas, NV
As a BMW parts guy, I've got to say they copied the front suspension of the 3 Series in every way that counts. I think it should handle rather well since BMW has been successfully using this layout since '82 all the way up to the current 3 series.

Just my opinion.

-Dave

• Sponsors (?)

Well, You can just say that it is very forgiving and also very capable. BMW has used this on all three Chassis 3Series since the 320 in '82. This includes the the M3's which I drive quite a bit in all different forms. Very nice, with the only problem being Balljoints, which frequently wear out and require the whole arm to be replaced.

-Dave

Looks like one of the things that will help the handling most is the way they've pushed the front wheels forward. SHould let the engine sit mostly behind the wheels, which will bring the weight distribution near 50-50 and eliminate a fair bit of understeer. Check out the side-by-side shots of the new one vs SN95 car in the "Production vs Concept" photo thread and you'll see what I mean.

I cannot wait to drive one of these things. :D

Mr Black said:
Freakin' A! Well done Ford.

How did you find this info?

I believe the Hot Rod article said they didn't want 50/50 weight distribution with that much HP sitting up front cause then they'd have to fit super wide tires on the rear...

66Satellite said:
I believe the Hot Rod article said they didn't want 50/50 weight distribution with that much HP sitting up front cause then they'd have to fit super wide tires on the rear...
Huh? Why would having more of the weight on the rear require *wider* tires? Should reduce that requirement...

HairyCanary said:
Huh? Why would having more of the weight on the rear require *wider* tires? Should reduce that requirement...

ah, you made me dig my Hot Rod out of the basement. Without typing it out--that's what it says. With that much torque the Ford guy said you'd be hanging the back end out too much with a 50/50 distribution unless you went to wider rubber in the rear, which they didn't want to do.

sleeper89 said:
...because in a 50/50 balanced car when you let off the throttle abruptly in a turn it has a tendency to go into snap oversteer.
Hmmm. Still doesn't make sense to me. We're talking about going from a front-loaded car to a balanced car, I would expect it to be more neutral, and with more weight on the back it should have less of a tendency to oversteer. :shrug:

Dave

HairyCanary said:
Hmmm. Still doesn't make sense to me. We're talking about going from a front-loaded car to a balanced car, I would expect it to be more neutral, and with more weight on the back it should have less of a tendency to oversteer. :shrug:

Dave

...under straight line acceleration it would hook better. but when you are flying up to a corner at XXmph and you let off the throttle the weight at the rear moves up and forward which tries to bring the rear around in front of you. the more weight with less grip at the back the worse this effect is.

i'm not a physicist so i really cant explain it better than that, and i cant 100% guarantee that that is how it works, but that is how i understand it. maybe an expert will chime in. :nice:

-steve

sleeper89 said:
...under straight line acceleration it would hook better. but when you are flying up to a corner at XXmph and you let off the throttle the weight at the rear moves up and forward which tries to bring the rear around in front of you. the more weight with less grip at the back the worse this effect is.

i'm not a physicist so i really cant explain it better than that, and i cant 100% guarantee that that is how it works, but that is how i understand it. maybe an expert will chime in. :nice:

-steve

This is my understanding, too. This is not about straight-line acceleration at the track, it's about day-to-day usability (including bad weather) and handing throught the twisties.

Ford, in there press introduction material, admitted using the M3 as their handling benchmark for the front suspension and thus, probably did replicate pretty closely that design as it works beautifully. As for the ox-cart axle out back, well, Ford has obviously settled for a much lower handling standard there. But overall, this chassis handling should be eons ahead of the current car and the eventual IRS should raise that significantly higher yet to true world-class levels.

As for Hot Rod's dopey statement about weight distribution, I think they should stick to their forte -- drivetrains and straightline acceleration -- they apparently get out of their element very quickly when they stray from the straight and narrow of the strip and venture into the curves and corners of the world. I mean, just start contemplating on the hook up characteristics of an empty pickup to see what a front heavy weight distribution will do for ya. And why exactly then do the top fueler dragster put their motors way in the back...?

rhumbline said:
As for Hot Rod's dopey statement about weight distribution, I think they should stick to their forte -- drivetrains and straightline acceleration -- they apparently get out of their element very quickly when they stray from the straight and narrow of the strip and venture into the curves and corners of the world. I mean, just start contemplating on the hook up characteristics of an empty pickup to see what a front heavy weight distribution will do for ya. And why exactly then do the top fueler dragster put their motors way in the back...?

It was a direct quote from one of the Mustang designers. And again it concerned oversteer/handling issues, not hookup.

ok, Hot Rod put the full article up on the web. Here's the quote:

"For us, 52-53 percent [front weight] is near optimal with how much torque we have at the rear wheels," Thai-Tang says. Anything closer to 50/50 than that will produce the tendency for a torquey engine to hang the back end out easily or require bigger tires on the rear than the front for more grip, neither of which were options for the new Mustang.

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/113_0402_must/index3.html