FRPP cams and 4.10 gears

faspony

Sep 17, 2006
Hey,

I have seen and heard so many Youtube videos of Mustangs idling w/ frpp hot rod cams I'm goofy. I'd like to have someone post a video of their Mustang GT on the street or the track and see them in action with these cams. Maybe some facts about how well they perform or not.

Another concern of mine is all this talk about 3.73 gears and 4.10 gears.
I'd like to install a set of gears in my 06 GT but I am not sure just how much I will lose at the top end. How much do these gears effect the RPMs around say 70 MPH? What effect do they have on gas mileage?

I have done a search and found a few good threads but I'm still not convinced which gears work the best.

What say you, ya'll

• Sponsors (?)

all out performance go with the 4.10's or either 4.33's if you want to just have some fun the 3.73 will give a nice boost. You will lose some mpg but that is a personal decision. But you will have to get a tuner or take it to a shop to have the speedo recalibrated after the swap.

Only about 1 mpg with the 4.10s. Why are you so concerned about loosing top end? how often do you actually drive over 120mph? as far as rpms go there is only about a 300-400rmp increase at 70mph with 4.10s compared to the stock 3.55s. Your rpms really have nothing to do with mpg it is all about how much you put your foot into it. in that case you will probably see a loss of about 1-4mpg not from the gears but from your foot. 4.10S are the way to go!

I have a Viper truck that I went from stock 4:11 to 4:88. Truck feels like it is 1000 lbs lighter. One of the best mods I have done. I imagine going from stock 3:37(?) to 4:10 gears would feel about the same on a stang. It will be one of my first mods when I find my stang.:nice:

patrick

I run my car at the Maxton Mile. 4.10's would be too steep as I am trying for over 200 mph. the 3.55's are good if you want that kind of top end, but for a normal car, I don't see why 4.10's wouldn't be the best choice.

I run my car at the Maxton Mile. 4.10's would be too steep as I am trying for over 200 mph. the 3.55's are good if you want that kind of top end, but for a normal car, I don't see why 4.10's wouldn't be the best choice.

While gears are a big issue with top end unfortunately the biggest obstacle to the 2 double 0 mark is the car's lousy aerodynamics. The 05-09 S197's are about as aerodynamic as a brick wall. Drag and stability are insane past 160MPH. That's why as ugly as the 10's can be they managed to drop the cd significantly by tweaking the car's shape.

While gears are a big issue with top end unfortunately the biggest obstacle to the 2 double 0 mark is the car's lousy aerodynamics. The 05-09 S197's are about as aerodynamic as a brick wall. Drag and stability are insane past 160MPH. That's why as ugly as the 10's can be they managed to drop the cd significantly by tweaking the car's shape.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. The last time I was at the Maxton Mile, I ran 186 mph. So, I upped the boost to 20 pounds, added fuel pressure and tried it again.... 186 mph. Adding 75 HP to the wheels added nothing to my top end. I am now looking at running 25 pounds and a water/meth injection system.