FRPP Gear Break in?

I beat the **** out of them from the minute I pulled out of my mechanic's driveway and have never looked back.

I asked him about break in, and he said "nope, none." BTW, this is from a guy who's been wrenching Mustangs for YEARS and could do a gear install blindfolded.

Over 50k miles later, zero problems, zero gear whine, zero complaints.

• Sponsors (?)

please do, i'd be interested in reading it
Your wish, is my command:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Although the examples shown here are motorcycle engines,
these principles apply to all 4 stroke engines:

Street or Race Motorcycles, Cars, Snowmobiles, Airplanes & yes ...
even Lawn Mowers !!
( regardless of brand, cooling type, or number of cylinders. )
What's The Best Way To Break-In A New Engine ??
The Short Answer: Run it Hard !

Just curious...but how can you deny/argue proven techniques?

BreakInF3Pistons.jpg
The piston on the right was broken in as
per MotoMan's instructions.

Attachments

• BreakInF3Pistons.jpg
    BreakInF3Pistons.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 63

a direct quote from the article:
If the rings aren't forced against the walls soon enough, they'll use up the roughness before they fully seat. Once that happens there is no solution but to re hone the cylinders, install new rings and start over again.

he's refering to the fact that higher temps cause metal to expand, the temp having a direct correlation to the expansion, thus he's saying that you need to heat up the rings quickly so as to scrape off the "roughness" of the cylinder walls. heres the problem i have with that. if the engine is not at as high a temp as he recommends, the metal rings will not expand as much as they would running the car hard, thus the rings wouldnt scrape off as much of the "roughness" as quickly as he recommends. warming the engine and running it little by little (lower RPMS) will gently allow the rings to seat themselves, and scrape off a smaller amount each time, until the rough coating of the cylinder wall has been removed. doing this, you will have smaller shavings of metal floating around in the engine, as opposed to scraping off as much as possible, as soon as possible, and having larger shavings of metal being circulated in the engine.

just because "i did it and its fine" or "all my friends did it and its fine" doesnt mean there isnt a relationship between hard break-ins and premature failure. how many smokers dont have cancer *yet*?