fuel and timing issues anddd HOLYYYY TOLUENEE BATMAN!!!!

BLCK95GT

Dec 5, 2009
TR NJ
soooooo i bought my 95 GT a few months ago and it has a timing/fuel problem from the previous IDIOTTT of an owner....... I found out when i bought it that i MUST run 93 in it all the time... nothing lower..... and that dont make sense because a stock h/c/i no boost shouldnt have to run 93 at all!!!!

soo i dug into what could be the problem here,... and i must mention that my car is DEVOURING gas.. my mileage is horrible.../.. soo i checked to find out that my car has 38lb injectors..... the engine is near stock soo why the prev owner used 38s is way beyond me....... sometimes i need to hold my foot to the floor to start it.... deff too much fuel...

Guess what ele i found out??? the car has a SCT chip burned into the computer... WHY?!?!?!? the car is NEAR STOCK.... i only have a TFS R series intake.... theres no need for a custom tune on a non boosted near stock 5.0..... all of the tuning capabilities are through the dizzy, annd the afpr..,.. ANYWAYS,. i made my way down the intake pipe and i come to the mass air....... The mass air meter is STOCK!!! STOCKKK FORD mass air meter cald for the stocker 19lb injectors...... this owner cant be serious.....

Soooo trying to fix everything, my first issue is the ping..... who knows wtf the tuner did with my timing curve or anything to make my car ping at high rpms with 87 octane...... my first move is to pull the chip and put everything back to factory settings and then go from there....... chip was pulled out and the xar barely wanted to run... SOOOO rich.. backfired.... it was a turd and was BARELY driveable.......

heress my guess and i hope others can tell me whether or not my guess is dead on and can confirm what i do to fix the problem is right.. orrr if you wanna gimme your take, im open for opinions........ sooooo... i think the owner swapped intake manifolds.... to make the car all bolt ons and faster.... soo on a stock engine, you would think someone who was buying a tfs intake would buy the street heat for the best results... or MAYBE the track heat if he was preparing something bigger or with boost, but no... I have the R series intake up top (not the box one).. soo with the intake off, he probable swapped the injectors too.... but accel 38lbers???? sooo i bet he put it back togethher and it ran horrible like it did for me when i pulled the chip..... then i bet he took it to a shop and they offered to tune the car to get it to run right and they compensated for not changing the mass air meter with the custom chip to get it to run right... soo it runs good with the chip in itt,...

soo for craps n giggles, i tested my friends pro m meter cald for 36lb injectors... only SLIGHTLY off then as with my setup.... as soon as i started the car, it ran MUCHH smoother...revved up faster.. and all along it ran greattt,... sooo heres the test,,,,, let me remove the chip and see if it does the same thing..... nope not at all... still reved real smooth.. didnt feel or smell rich at all!!!! all the guy had to do was switch his meter and thats it.. 100 dollar simple fix... deff no need to burn a chip and dyno tuune it!!

Soooo thats all i did today.... tomorrow, im gonna check the timing and WHYYYY i need to run high octane...... im not gonna check the base timing with the chip in it because that COMPLETELY defeats the whole purpose.... sooo i gave the MAF meter back to my friend.... im gonna buy a new meter tomorrow n swap my stocker out....then check my timing...

does everything add up here???? one question i have is..... on a stock motor, does .. the bigger the injector, the more gas itll burn... essentially making my mileage horrible??? orrr... with a properly calibrated mass air meter, it wont make a difference in fuel mileage because everything is matched right and the motor wont NEED all the fuel from the inuector and itll run just like stock...... The reason i ask is...... i have two options here..OPTION NUMBER ONE!... take my upper and intake piping off... switch back to stock injectors which will math my stock meter, then allowing me to remove the chip and then get to the timing..... OPTION TWO... keep my intakes on and leave the ibjectors.... use them later down the road when i really need them.... and find someone who can caqlibrate a meter for my 38s orrrr even find a used meter for 36s and use that... then im saving alot of time money for gaskets....... But heres what i wanna know.... if the mass air meter and ibjkectors match, will the fact that there a little big negatively effect anything?? option two sounds like the option i wanna take.... what do u guys think????

BY THE WAY.. check this out...... my mom accidently put 87 octane in my car last night..... 4 gallons....... i FREAKEDDD because i had no money.. i dont get paid till tomorrow and that 4 gallons is from EMPTY soo its not like i had any 93 sittin in the tank to mix together.... on the way home my car started pinging reallllll bad... i was furious at her becase i need to drive my car and she KNEWWW i ALWAYS get 93 octane and totally disregarded it....... ive read ont he internet ALOT about toulene but i was never able to find it anywhere,,, today, seeing it in a hardware store, i decided to buy 5 gallons and dump it in the tank,.... i was a little worried because i didnt know if it was a crock and woulda hurt things..,.... anyways i did it... ALOT of people stared at me with 5 cans of what looked to be acetone paint thinner .. like WHAT THE HELL is this kid doing????? anyways heres the math..... 4 gallons at 87 octane (4x87=348)+ 5 gallons at 114 octane (5x114=570)= 918 TOTAL OCTANE/ 9 gallons total fuel= 102 TOTAL octane in my tank...... at first it didnt seem different.. still pinged.. not as bad before... keep in mind im still worried something bads gonna happen putting a forein chemical thats not gas in my gas tank lol..... 30 miles later the car runs MUCH smoother... no pinging nomoree.. it seems like it has slight more uumph and revs up alot faster,,, i definately see a difference for the better,,,, i definately would reccomend this if you need to raise your octane and you dont wanna use leaded race fuel.... orrr waste youur money on BS octane boosters which dont even do crappppppp........

anyways sorry for the novel i typed in this thread.... suggestions questions would be awesome... thanks guys n gals

• Sponsors (?)

I'll keep most of the comments to myself but I would switch to stock injectors and use your stock meter.

Be careful with what you're putting in the tank.

Good luck.

sounds like that set up is WAY off if all you have is the R series intake i would switch back to stock injectors check your timing. Your check engine light must be on if its running that rich. Id switch everything back and maybe see if you can pull some codes.

sounds like that set up is WAY off if all you have is the R series intake i would switch back to stock injectors check your timing. Your check engine light must be on if its running that rich. Id switch everything back and maybe see if you can pull some codes.

yes sir... but probably because i have longtubes and no cats as well....

would it still run rich if i kept these 38's and got my mass air callibrated for them?? because im sureeee my cars gotta be DUMPING fuel with a 19lb mass air meter on ther4e...

Check your timing! If your pinging you can just pull some timing. Its free, and you don't have to put any crap in your tank.

So.............Tell us about this "blown 408 in the works"

i got a freshly rebuilt 351w stroked to 408, im PROBABLY gonna salvage the Rseries intake i have, heads are undecided but most likely AFR's...... cam im still undecded..... i do wanna run a T trim blower tho..... ive had efficiency prolems with my old S trim.. i rather just get A bigger blower like the T and run the same boost while spinning the blower ALOT slower and more efficiently........ like i said.. its a work in progress lol

Sound like the car was turbo-ed on a stock block and on a stock car, previous owner probably had the correct maf but sold it before sold you the car, basically sold the stuff that was easy to take off and passed on the headache to you, And the chip was tuned to that set up.

You can take the chip to tuner and see what kind of "Tune" it had on it to find out all the info.

Good luck

stock injectors. Unless that tune has the new MAF sensor "dialed in" it won't know what to do with it. Take er all back to stock aside from the intake and possibly have the computer reprogrammed for what you actually have, or ditch the chip all together.

+1 on most everything ... the car probably had a blower on it and the owner took it off before selling it to you.

+1 also on being careful about what goes into the tank.

if it were me, i'd go back to stock injectors and maf and pull the chip for now. you can probably get 19#ers on the cheap from someone who has upgraded.

then i'd make sure the timing is set correctly and run some seafoam through it to try to clear any carbon deposits off the pistons. as our engines age, carbon accumulates on the pistons which increases the compression ratio. and our timing is very agressive, so it is more prone to pinging.

hollywood stang has a real good point sounds like the owner before you was running some kind of boost. Then sold it to you without all of the good stuff on itthat would explain the injecters and the sct tune.

It sounds like the car was boosted at some point in time and the chip was for the boosted combo.

It's not uncommon for stock 94-95's to ping even with stock tuning and timing. As said above the timing in the computer is very aggressive and the small amount of carbon buildup on the pistons can increase the compression enough to cause detonation.

Run the stock injectors along with the stock maf, and pull the chip. It's not the best idea to run big injectors and a cal'd maf without a tune on 94-95's. The load based computer tuning is much different than whats used on fox bodies so it doesn't work as well. Use some seafoam to clean up the engine internally and set the timing. I would also do a complete tune up and change the fuel filter.

Keep the chip and injectors and when you put in the new engine combo have a custom tune burned onto the SCT chip you already have. The 38lb injectors would be to small for a boosted windsor though.

Oh yeah lets see the car :worthlesb