Fuel Backing Up!!!??have Already Replaced Filler&grommet, Very Important I Get Help Asap!

00/04/3.9Stang

Feb 1, 2014
Alright, so I'm new to this.. Names Mike. I have a 2000 Mustang and just replaced the whole filler neck and grommet. I go to fill it up, and no more than $1.50 in, the fuel starts backing up all the way out of the top of the filler! before I changed it, I noticed the grommet could use replacing, but also that the fuel neck itself was rotting out. I figured this was the reason that fuel was backing up/shutting off pump/leaking.. Now I notice that there's obviously some kind off back pressure or something not allowing the fuel to flow into the tank.. took me like 3 minutes to get $5 in it!!? sensor??? shut off switch/valve???? some type of blockage/something clogged?? idk, need help asap

• Sponsors (?)

Visibly they looked fine.. Do you know where the lines lead to? I can't recall, but none of them go over the tank I believe. Otherwise I was worried at first that I may pinch something putting the tank back up, but I'm pretty sure I noticed it was nothing but wiring running across the top. I don't see why they would, but do these lines ever get clogged for any particular reason? Also, I haven't changed the fuel filter yet because I wanted to get all new clips for the lines, but I shouldn't be having filling problems if it were a bad/clogged filter? Even then, wouldn't I notice a bad filter in performance? it never stalls, and it idles fine.

Visibly they looked fine.. Do you know where the lines lead to? I can't recall, but none of them go over the tank I believe. Otherwise I was worried at first that I may pinch something putting the tank back up, but I'm pretty sure I noticed it was nothing but wiring running across the top. I don't see why they would, but do these lines ever get clogged for any particular reason? Also, I haven't changed the fuel filter yet because I wanted to get all new clips for the lines, but I shouldn't be having filling problems if it were a bad/clogged filter? Even then, wouldn't I notice a bad filter in performance? it never stalls, and it idles fine.

There has to be a reason why the air is not escaping when you pump the new gas in. Check to make sure that the new filler tube looks like the old one, those small vent lines have very little to do with the fuel storage tank when it comes to filling it. The small vent lines are for the evap system but nothing to do when filling the fuel storage tank. The air has to escape fast when you fuel up as the gas station pumps can put a gallon in in about 20 seconds which is quite fast and the air needs to escape just as fast. Good luck with your project and finding the problem with your fuel storage tank.

jr.