Fuel Injection Cleaning

AmBo

Feb 3, 2004
New Jersey
Was at the LubeXpress gettin my oil changed and I was behind on my fuel injection cleaning. $65! Is this necessary? I had to sit there and hold the RPMs at 2,000 for about 2 minutes while my car gurgled away at something.

The guy said it should be changed every 12,000 miles. Is this true?! :bs:

• Sponsors (?)

I am sure he thinks so. It pays his bills and more.
I don't think its neces. (unless you car is running bad) I just add some techtron every few months.
I have never had inj. cleaned. I have never had a bad inj.
I do change fuel filters at 30 tho of sooner if its a car I don't drive much/yr.

Interesting, so I got schooled for $65? My car just hit 23K and wasn't running bad to my knowledge. :-\ I hate getting schooled on my car with things I don't know much about. *sigh*

Well, if they hooked it up to an actualy injector cleaning machine or something it probably did a more effective job than dumping a can of Seafoam into the gas tank...

If it is the type that is hooked up directly to your fuel rail, it can cause more harm than good doing it every 12,000 miles. That's some strong cleaner which is for higher mileage situations. If it makes you feel better you can add a bottle of injector cleaner to your full tank of gas every oil change. That type is not as strong. My favorite line does remain "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

AmBo said:
okay, so basically I can do this myself for like $5 every oil change. Wow I'm a newb...*sigh* Thanks guys.

The one you add to your fuel can be consider sort of as a preventative maintance. At work I only use the other type on a customers car if he has some real driveability concerns. I have seen bad injectors at 1000 miles but it wasn't because they were dirty. No amount of cleaning would help them. When I get a car with very high mileage with a slight driveabilty concern, that is when we give the strong stuff a try.

Dark Knight GT said:
Amsoil PI fuel treatment.

6oz. per 10 gallons for the initial clean up and just 1oz. per 10 gallons following that.

Change the fuel filter yearly for best results. Its all cheap insurance.

ok, so im a little lost here. So if i filled up my tank with 13 gallons of fuel i would add 6oz on the first time and just 1 oz for every fill up after that? i instead of a fill up would i just put in 9-10 gal and add the amsoil stuff? :shrug:

ohh and how often would you add this stuff? every few miles?

When you first fill the tank up, it will hold about 15 gallons full. So, put 9oz. in on the initial fill up. Once you run that tank out, just add 1oz for every ten gallons of fuel you have in the tank. An easy way to do this, would be just to add 2oz. to the tank of gas each time you fill up. Drive the tank till you get the low fuel light each time for best results.