Fuel Line Leak/melted Connector

Revogen

May 10, 2016
Alright then, it begins. My first issue with my new (to me) 87 GT. I’ve only driven the car twice and had no problems, but the other day had it idling in the garage, jumped out to check everything was clear and noticed dripping from the forward side of the fuel tank. Shut the car off and tossed a tray under to catch any fluids and tried to see where it was coming from. I had to let the pipes cool before I could get under it and by that time I couldn’t see where the leak was. What I could see though was the disconnect socket(?) for the return fuel line has been melted flat on one side from the tail pipe. There’s barely an 1/8” of space between what’s left of said disconnect and the tail pipe. I don’t think the little disconnect tool is going to work and if it does come open, I don’t think it will properly close. Can I cut out this connection and splice back together using rubber fuel line and hose clamps as a temporary fix? Or is there a way of installing a new connector? What is the proper fix for this? I should note that I’m not even sure this is the cause of the leak, I’ve been apprehensive about starting it back up to determine the exact location of the leak because this is so close to the tail pipe although I could see where the fuel had run down the outside of the fuel tank shield (plastic cover?). I can’t see where else it could be coming from though. Thanks for your help.
2016-05-10_18.20.00.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks LILCBRA, does this just connect to the bare line or would I need to do something like with a flaring tool to attach? There isn't much working room and I was hoping to do this without dropping the tank, etc.

It's been a while, but if memory serves you will need a barbed connector and a couple hose clamps wouldn't be a bad idea if you use this piece. I believe you can get just the connector without the hose attached as well to eliminate any other connections. Then you can just cut the bad off, leaving enough good hose to push the new connector onto. Word of warning: they're a b***h to attach! I'd say apply a little grease to the barbed portion before attempting to push it into the hose.

It's been a while, but if memory serves you will need a barbed connector and a couple hose clamps wouldn't be a bad idea if you use this piece. I believe you can get just the connector without the hose attached as well to eliminate any other connections. Then you can just cut the bad off, leaving enough good hose to push the new connector onto. Word of warning: they're a b***h to attach! I'd say apply a little grease to the barbed portion before attempting to push it into the hose.
Hey, Thanks again man!!

Do not plan on rubber fuel hose and clamps. The exhaust is already too close, then EFI pressure will pop regular hose. Even with the right hose, without flares on the metal pipes, I would be worried about it slipping off.
Brass compression fittings, if for the right OD, would at least be up to the pressure. After getting chewed out as a kid, my tranny cooler line repair job (tranny hose clamped over steel lines instead of fuel) was replaced with compression fittings. They have never leaked, even with driveline wiggles.