Fuel line

dmoody

Founding Member
Nov 4, 2002
Winston-Salem, NC
Hey guys, I'm putting together the front of my engine now as I've gotten the heads and intake buttoned up. Anyway I've seen several different ways of routing the fuel line from the pump to the carb however which is best? Where is the best location to put a fuel filter? Is anyone running an electric fuel pump?

Thanks,
d

• Sponsors (?)

I'm running an electric fuel pump, it's the Holley blue label. But I haven't really done the fuel stuff yet, but I plan to use the stock fuel lines, and see if it's sufficient, if not, I'll have to upgrade.

I need to reroute the fuel line though once it gets to the engine, because of the monster headers, they're causing issues with everything.

Did you mount the fuel filter beside the electric pump? My problem is I can't seem to decide what kind of fuel line I need to get and where I should mount everything so it looks good and is functional... everything else looks great so far... and I guess I just don't want to ruin it... seems like HaveII had a really good looking engine?

d

Haven't mounted anything yet, sadly.. but yeah, I wanted to get 2 fuel filters, one right by the fuel pump, and another in the engine bay. I'm not sure what fuel line sizes would be good, I wanted to go bigger, but I didn't know how big to go. I'm going to leave it stock for now (less to worry about), and if it feels like im not getting enough gas I'll have to upgrade it.

this is how i am going to do it.put a filter befor the pump.put the pump at the rear of the vehical to prevent vapor lock.( if there are any missconceptions on vapor lock i would be glad to clear them up). be sure to use a saftey switch run off of the engine oil pressure in case of an accident.then run at least a 3/8" tube up the passenger side to under the fender. then put a bulkhead fitting through the fender well into the engine compartment.now you have a nice neat port in the engine compartmet with pressurized fuel.now mount you regulator in a nice location and run a tube to it.now run some flexible hose or hoses to the carb. make sure you have the sintered bronze filter in the carb.

Oh! I see what you were after. i don't have a pic of a line made from a mech fuel pump up to the carb for a Holley, but have one for a Edelbrock.
The stock 5/16 fuel lines on my Fastback are feeding two hungry 450's on my tunnel ram. Seems to do pretty good. However I will be upgrading to 3/8" line soon. I have the Holley "Red" elec pump on it now, and it use to do just fine. It was more than ample for the 750 Holley I had on it before, as long as you kept it on the street. But now the 'Red' pump seems to be going out because after the it's been running a while the line pressure starts dropping down to '0'. I have a Holley 'Black' pump and Holley Regulator to put on it, here soon, that'll solve that issue! (Too many projects, not enough time... :nonono: )