Fuel Press Reg not sealing well....options?

sldghmr

Jun 30, 2003
Sil Sprg, MD
Replaced old fuel injectors and took fuel pressure regulator off to give it a good cleaning. Now regulator doesn't want to seat. Tryed big socket, and lubing o-rings. Still getting small leak when pump runs. Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

If it's the stock reg. just replace it w/ a new oem. Maybe the gasket is bad. It's only held on w/ 3 small allen head bolts from the underside, so I'm not sure what you mean by using a socket on it.

Are you sure it's the seals? I had the same problem with mine, turns out it was leaking from the seam of the regulator, because it's a 2 piece design. Turn the key to prime the pump a few times, and feel around the regulator and see if it's wet.

ram360 said:
so I'm not sure what you mean by using a socket on it.

You can use a big (like 36mm or over 1") socket to go over the entire regulator, then you can tap the socket to help seat the regulator. I've got a 95, so I've only got 2 bolts, and I'm trying to use a Kirban reg. I'm going to get new o-rings, because I think that they might have had a bad reaction to the air after not breathing for a couple of years. Should you replace o-rings everytime you take the regulator off?

BlackFox5.0 said:
i've taken my regulator off with out replaceing the seals. I just installed a used Kirban, and never changed the seals, there should be an o-ring, and a big flat seal, you do have both, right?

Naw, just the two o-rings on the main stem and the smaller stem is bare. What is this flat seal? Metal or plastic?

Hey sldghmr, did you get this worked out? What did you do?

I also just installed a Kirban on my 94, and it slightly leaks. The Kirban only comes with 2 new O-rings on the inlet, I had to reuse the single, flat o-ring for the return from my stocker. I suspect that this old one is what is leaking. Where can you get this flat, return o-ring?

Rick