Fuel Pressure Problem

mustangramair

Feb 24, 2004
Iowa
Hey guys, last fall my car began to run like trash instantly while I was driving it. I was going to scan the computer when I noticed my fuel pressure gauge was reading 80 PSI. Long story short, I just put my new regulator on and hooked my gauge to the schrader valve instead of directly to the regulator because the Kirban regulator does not have a guage port. Today I tried to adjust my fuel pressure, and when the car started my gauge read 80 PSI right away again! So the problem was not my regulator, what else could be going on here? Could my return line be clogged? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Nick

• Sponsors (?)

Try a second test gauge to confirm the results of the first. I find it odd that both regs read the same pressure.

My kirban wasn't even set close to the right stock pressure. I had to raise it a bunch out of the box.

Thanks for the replies guys! I do still need to try to adjust the regulator more, but when I turn the car over the FP goes up to 80, after I stop turning the key the FP rests at 40. We did get it to adjust down to 70 before the car flooded out. Before we started working on the car, the gauge read 0. I think the guage is working properly because the car flooded out and wouldn't start again. How would I go about checking the return line?

Thanks for the replies guys! I do still need to try to adjust the regulator more, but when I turn the car over the FP goes up to 80, after I stop turning the key the FP rests at 40. We did get it to adjust down to 70 before the car flooded out. Before we started working on the car, the gauge read 0. I think the guage is working properly because the car flooded out and wouldn't start again. How would I go about checking the return line?

If you want to check it, put fuel line crimping pliers *carefully* on the return line. You're pressure would theoretically go even higher with a deadhead or near deadhead. The pressure you're already seeing would be of great concern to me however.

I will say that long before I'd do something like this, I'd get another gauge on there, plain and simple. I'd be really surprised if you could achieve 80 PSIG and not spew codes right and left.

Good luck.

I haven't been able to catch codes yet. I was going to scan it last fall, I was letting it warm up when I saw the pressure. I immidiately shut the car down and figured it was the FPR. To scan the car it has to warm up according to the instructions I received with the scanner, it doesn't run well enough to let it warm up. I am stumped, I will try to get another gauge and then proceed with your instructions. Thanks ~Nick