Fuel pressure regulator. Help gas mileage?

natestang5.0

May 10, 2006
]I was wondering if i put a fuel pressure regulator on my car and dropped the pressure down. Would it improve my mpgs? Can you drop it to low and harm anything? Oh and have you guys heard of buying gas at night or in the morning to save money and get more fuel? I don't understand how it all works? I thought gas expanded when it was cold.

• Sponsors (?)

the fact that is probably 10-15 feet below ground i doubt it will change temperature enough to actually make a difference. i dont know how much gas actually expands and contracts with heat.

Buying at night or morning seems like it could be worth something. When it's over 100* here, it can expand enough once it's pumped to overflow out the filler (I've seen it but it wasnt on my car, so I dont know particulars). Would you rather buy a gulp of air at sea-level or at 5000'? Same kind of idea (density).

The computer will adjust injector pulsewidth so that it (in essense) is squirting the same amount of fuel as it was before - with less pressure it has to spray longer. Now at WOT, fuel consumption might drop (and performance) but one shouldnt be at WOT if trying to increase milage anyhow. :D

Oh, water is about all I can think of that expands when it gets colder (liquid to solid state).

i see what youre saying about the elevation thing and air...but something thats under ground isnt going to be affected by air temperature. but if were talking about buying gas in the middle of winter compared to the middle of summer i can see a difference. but a difference in temperature from noon to midnight isnt enough to reach that far underground. especially since its covered with concrete and has a cover over it that usually keeps it in the shade.

Like JT said, the computer will compensate for the lower pressure.
This may cause more problems than it is worth, as the A9L only has an adaptive range of 12%. If any other sensors are just slightly off, you could be in trouble.

Off topic
I have seen negative coefficients of thermal expansion listed for some Carbon fibers.
In class we discussed how to create a composite part that would remain dimensionally constant at any temperature.
Is that some useless trivia knowledge or what?

jason

dragnazz5.0 said:
that is a good bit of useless knowledge. the only way it could be more useless if is you told us the chemical make up of whatever it is we are talking about
:lol:

I actually dig that kind of stuff Jason. The properties of water was the only thing of interest to me in Chem (I like things that are like myself; they're goofy).

dragnazz5.0 said:
the fact that is probably 10-15 feet below ground i doubt it will change temperature enough to actually make a difference. i dont know how much gas actually expands and contracts with heat.

Forgive my fading knowledge of chemistry, but gasoline is pumped as a liquid... and effects from temperature would either turn it into a solid or a vapor (we're talking extreme temperature changes here), which shouldn't get touched by the pumps or the metering systems. So I assume you are thinking that a few degrees will change the pressure inside the tanks... but still I don't think that'll have any effect on what actually comes out of the pump.

:shrug:

i saw the buying the gas at night or in the morning thing on the tv at advanced auto so i thought it was a good source. I AM GOIN TO TEST THIS. i AM GOIN TO BUY THE SAME AMOUNT OF GAS AT DIFFERENT TIMES AT THE SAME PRICE PER GALLON AND SEE IF I GET MORE OR LESS FUEL.

natestang5.0 said:
i saw the buying the gas at night or in the morning thing on the tv at advanced auto so i thought it was a good source. I AM GOIN TO TEST THIS. i AM GOIN TO BUY THE SAME AMOUNT OF GAS AT DIFFERENT TIMES AT THE SAME PRICE PER GALLON AND SEE IF I GET MORE OR LESS FUEL.

Be sure to use the same pump each time.
Are you planning on using an empty gas can for this?

jason

As for the fuel pressure if you lower it the computer will try to compensate but the MPG will most likely go down as the fuel at lower pressures will not spray the same and burning efficiency will most likely go down leading to more unburned fuel in your exhaust. The best way to improve mileage is a good tune-up a nice hot spark and cut down on the hot dogging. My Mustang won't let me drive it nice so that last part is right out for me.