fuel pump a little loud. is it going bad?

fiveoho

15 Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
TN
driving around town short distances i cant really hear it but when i took the car out of the town the other day ( about 30 miles of consistant 65 mph ) i noticed the fuel pump was whining a little louder than normal by the time i got to my destination. is this normal? could it be trying to go out? what would cause this?

thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Get it replaced.. mine did that for awhile and finally quit... its gonna go just a matter of time and where you are at when it happens who knows... u hapened to be 75 miles from home... but i kicked the tank and she started up one last time for me :rlaugh:

I'd also replace it. Noise is sometimes an indicator. Running low on fuel, heat and age are all things that can cause them to start getting loud (as they crap out).

i was afraid of that. i have a new 190 walbro in the box . its part of my parts surplus that i will probably never get to use. will it be ok or should i sell it and get a ford OEM pump?

i just spoke with my local ford dealership. they will charge $130 to install the new pump. just for curiousity, i asked them to price a OEM pump. he asked what my man. date was on the car.( i wasnt sure. its at home and im at work). but he said the pump and sender MAY be separate. the pump was $158 and the sender was $68.

someone please explain what i need. will i need the sender no matter if i go with the walbro or the OEM? or is everything i need just the pump itself?

Walbro is the OEM pump manufacturer. As long as yours is not counterfeit (it's a problem with less reputable sellers) it should be great for you. I actually think the 130 dollar labor charge from a dealership sounds pretty reasonable but I haven't paid anyone to do a pump so I'm not too up on going rates.

The pump should be separate. You will also want to replace the fuel tank filler grommet. It's 20-30 bucks from the dealership.

Some links that will help you decide if you want to do this yourself.

Pump replacement article by 5spd GT

A grommet article by Davis3

Walbro is the OEM pump manufacturer. As long as yours is not counterfeit (it's a problem with less reputable sellers) it should be great for you. I actually think the 130 dollar labor charge from a dealership sounds pretty reasonable but I haven't paid anyone to do a pump so I'm not too up on going rates.

The pump should be separate. You will also want to replace the fuel tank filler grommet. It's 20-30 bucks from the dealership.

Some links that will help you decide if you want to do this yourself.

Pump replacement article by 5spd GT

A grommet article by Davis3

thank you for all the info. i did not know that about walbro. i will prob just let the dealership do it as i dont have the tools, facility or time.

so the pump, a new fuel filter and filler grommet should be all that i need ?

thank you for all the info. i did not know that about walbro. i will prob just let the dealership do it as i dont have the tools, facility or time.

so the pump, a new fuel filter and filler grommet should be all that i need ?

It's not too tough of an install, nor does it require a lot of tools but I see your point.

As far as new parts, that sounds good to me. I cant think of anything else I normally replace.