fuel pump going out??

old_blue

15 Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
Well, I did a little search and didn't quite find what I was looking for. When I start my car I can hear the pump prime and it fires right up. Now, It primes but it doesn't start right away and I have to let it go and let it prime again then it will fire up. Sound like a fuel pump to anyone else. I am thinking it is getting weak and it needs to be replaced. I was also looking for options into a new pump. I have a 351w that I plan on putting in down the road and I was think of getting a 255. Is that too much? should I just go with a 190? I know the return line will take what I don't use back but if I don't need it I won't get it. thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

xpeteyjtx said:
My car did the same thing. I pulled the codes and found that the BAP was not working. I replaced that and it starts better. So pull the codes first, it might be something simple.
How would I check codes using the paper clip method? I have never done it before. I tried searching jrichter's post but with over 1000 posts it is kinda hard to find what I am looking for.

I figured it out. I am used to checking codes with a testlight but I found that I could just use the CEL for it. Thanks and I just replaced the fuel filter not to long ago but thanks for the suggestion

FWIW, if your '88 was originally SD, unless someone did the rewire, your CEL shouldnt work. that leaves using a code reader, test light or analog VOM.

If plans are up in the air for future mods, I would do the 255 LPH. Any increase in pressure should be negligable, as well as fuel heating concerns.

Good luck.

I recently did a tune up and it ran great. Just recently started doing this. I am going to run the line out to the canister like it is suppose to be then go from there. Shouldn't be hurting it though as the vacuum line on the intake is plugged.