Fuel Tank Equivalency Between 1996-1998?

Sdlonyer55

Apr 24, 2003
Queens, NY
All,

I just bought myself a 1998 Cobra, and she has sprung a leak in what appears to be the gas tank. Looks like I am going to have to replace it, and Ford wants near 400$ for the part. Some searching online reveals that almost any tank you find for the Mustang, will have a useful product range of 1983-1997. It didn't seem as if I was going to find a more cost effective replacement.

Then I found this product -> this product

It claims to fit all 1983-1998 Mustangs and is the only one I've seen that includes 1998 in the range. I submitted a product information request, but haven't heard back and don't trust just their answer enough to buy anyway.

Cutting to the chase, I was hoping one of the resident experts around here might be able to tell me if there were any substantial fuel tank/system modifications between 1997 and 1998, and whether or not this should fit. I've done some research myself, but can't find any differences. Capacity and dimensions are the same.

Could someone set me strraight, please? Thanks very much in advance for your time.

• Sponsors (?)

Before buying a new tank, have you checked the filler neck grommet/seal. It is on the pass. side where the filler neck goes into the tank. They always get hard and brittle, which cause it to leak. As far as the tanks go, Ford has a p/n for 94-96 and one for 98 only and one for 99-00 and so on. Good luck with the leak.

OH, here is the p/n for the seal if you need it. F8ZZ-9072-AC