Fuel Tank Issue

Alright Fellas,

I viewed the complaints issued so far and there is one thing that I noticed. If I was the NHTSA complaint reviewer, I would not escalate this issue as a SAFETY concern. For those who fill in the form from here forward please ensure you indicate if the fuel has backed out of the inlet tube over the side of the vehicle.

My complaint with both the EPA and the NHTSA indicated that the fuel does spew back out of the tank and onto the ground/person fueling the vehicle.

• Sponsors (?)

I just don't get this problem. It has done it twice at the Exxon I usually go to. It's never done it at BP or Texaco. (Of course, the latter two are about 10 cents higher)

Here, in my humble opinion is the issue: We should be able to go anywhere and get gas. We shouldn't have to pick and choose our fueling stations based on whether or not our finicky cars think they are ok.
I've owned a lot of cars in my life and have never ever endured this until now...

Here, in my humble opinion is the issue: We should be able to go anywhere and get gas. We shouldn't have to pick and choose our fueling stations based on whether or not our finicky cars think they are ok.
I've owned a lot of cars in my life and have never ever endured this until now...

I agree. Unfortunately when I said that to Ford, they didn't agree.

It seems as though there may be a problem with the filler neck, as if the gas gets caught up in the neck and triggers the shut-off. Perhaps Ford can't design a better one for whatever reason.

All I know is that's it's a pain in the butt when it's 22 degrees with 15mph winds.

All I know is that's it's a pain in the butt when it's 22 degrees with 15mph winds.

That's exactly what I was thinking last time it happened to me.

For what it's worth, the dealership called today conducting a short survey to find out if I was please with the service I received when my car was in the shop...

Somebody needs to get the media in on this one. Perhaps somebody with a touch at a TV station. One of those consumer advocate type guys to do a video on it. Then a bunch of calls to a national network alerting them to the local shoot to get it going nationwide. I have an 07 GT/CS on order due to arrive any day. When it gets here, and if mine does this, there will be hell to pay. It will receive much attention. But it would be nice to get the ball rolling now. Nothing like a nice clear video showing gas shooting out of the tank all over somebody on national TV to get Ford's attention.

Somebody needs to get the media in on this one. Perhaps somebody with a touch at a TV station. One of those consumer advocate type guys to do a video on it. Then a bunch of calls to a national network alerting them to the local shoot to get it going nationwide. I have an 07 GT/CS on order due to arrive any day. When it gets here, and if mine does this, there will be hell to pay. It will receive much attention. But it would be nice to get the ball rolling now. Nothing like a nice clear video showing gas shooting out of the tank all over somebody on national TV to get Ford's attention.
If only.:(
I am the executive news producer at a network affiliate. As such, I can tell you that you will be hard pressed to find a local affiliate willing to do this story, and here's why...

1.) Auto dealership advertising is the vast majority of a station's income. Think about it. How many car dealer ads do you see everyday?

2.) The legal issue. You have to have your station's legal department go through the whole story with a fine-tooth comb.

3.) Lastly, it's not a safety issue. If the car could blow up, or injure someone, (think firestone and ford pinto) then it's a big story. This does not qualify.

Still, it ticks me off.:bang:

Edit: Let me clarify point 1. You do the story, it makes your local Ford dealers look bad, and they drop advertising from your station, costing you a ton of money.

Hmmm. did anyone see the story on the Volvo safety issues, this week? I kept seeing the "Coming up, after the break...", but never saw the story. I cannot speak for your particular station, but it doesn't appear that the terror of losing advertising revenue prevents all stations from airing news.

Also, I agree, the slow fill is not a safety issue, but gasoline splashing back certainly is. I don't know how common that particular issue is, though (of the few times my replaced tank has acted up, only about 1 in 20 do I get gas all over my leg/car/gas-station forecourt).

It's a shame that even relatively small, local businesses appear to be able to "buy" the news, even though I understand the need for the income.:(

celticstanger,

It's the nature of the beast. What station did you see the Volvo story on? Was it it a local station? Usually only networks have the massive legal firms to protect them. This is the type of story the locals just won't do.

For example, in this market, just one Ford dealer pays us over a million dollars a year for advertising. The "powers that be" will not risk losing that kind of money.

The nets can take the risk because the automakers know how much they need the nets' advertising.

Even the nets are leary about these stories. Remember the Dateline story on GMC pickups catching fire? Seems the news crew rigged the truck with incendiary devices to get the proper effect. They (NBC) paid tens of millions to make that lawsuit go away.

This won't hit air until someone gets seriously hurt, or worse.

It's very unfortunate

celticstanger,

It's the nature of the beast. What station did you see the Volvo story on? Was it it a local station? Usually only networks have the massive legal firms to protect them. This is the type of story the locals just won't do.

For example, in this market, just one Ford dealer pays us over a million dollars a year for advertising. The "powers that be" will not risk losing that kind of money.

The nets can take the risk because the automakers know how much they need the nets' advertising.

Even the nets are leary about these stories. Remember the Dateline story on GMC pickups catching fire? Seems the news crew rigged the truck with incendiary devices to get the proper effect. They (NBC) paid tens of millions to make that lawsuit go away.

This won't hit air until someone gets seriously hurt, or worse.

It's very unfortunate

It could've been one of the networks, now you mention it. I think it was Thursday, as I was throwing my crap into my bags in my hotel room in SF, so I wasn't paying too much attention - tv was on for some company (yes, I'm one sad individual - when I'm away at work for the week, anyway:D ).

I am in the same boat, but in England! Had a 2005 GT, bad tank, Ford replaced it and problem went away. Sold it, have my 2006, almost exactly same car (OK, went for the bigger wheels and leather this time), but same fuel problem. Now Ford says - sorry. Went through Military Car Sales Customer Service in Germany and they said - sorry. So went straight to Ford, and they said - go through Military Car Sales in Germany. Hmmmmmm.
Can't go to different gas stations - on base is where gas is bought. Except with coupons we can buy, but when you can only use half the coupon, you lose the balance of fuel, no refunds when you can't fill the tank.
Retired military, working for the Air Force in Europe has it's advantages, but dealing with Ford is a lot tougher!

My problems with refueling have been relatively minor--so far. Why don't those of you who have had significant problems write letters to Consumer Reports and ask them how they can recommend a car that spews gasoline on the ground and/or on the person refilling the gas tank?

My problems with refueling have been relatively minor--so far. Why don't those of you who have had significant problems write letters to Consumer Reports and ask them how they can recommend a car that spews gasoline on the ground and/or on the person refilling the gas tank?

I don't know how much good writing to a magazine will do. Maybe the consumer products safety commission and/or NHTSA instead?
This whole thing is just wrong.

After some research at the EPA and a little "light" reading of some Federal rulings concerning Passenger vehicle fuel system delivery and acceptance standards, I have a sinking feeling that this issue may go nowhere.

Ford and GMC have obtained enough executive exemption orders for compliance under other vehicle lines that I venture to guess they are going to make this a drawn out issue in which they claim "hardship". The amount of vehicles this is impacting in relation to the overall vehicle class and manufacture numbers for the 2005-2007 years is low. Unfortunately, the statistical impact points to fuel delivery issues at the pump versus inadequate acceptance design on the car.

I still call B.S., but it all boils down to statistics, Gentlemen. If the design of the fuel inlet and tank are within federal standards (which it is) there is little that WILL be done.

We can certainly wait to see if this escalates due to "death or injury claims", but as it looks now the “big dog” has the proverbial federal bone.

Good Luck Fellas. I found a solution to my fuel tank issue. It is a 2001TransAm. No fuel acceptance issues with him. :)

~Jenn~

Driving my 06 GT to France next week, though Normandy and visiting the D Day beaches for 4 days. Hope I don't have the same problem there as I do here in England - I'll let the forum know.
Got my "final" response from Ford the other day - sorry they couldn't be of more assistance. Funny - they were glad to take my $30 grand.
Checking with a New York law firm on possible lemon law suit. Overseas Military Car Sales is in New York, so I hope the NY laws apply -

since it has warmed up here, i fill it up a little more frequently. it was too cold to be filling it all the time, so i let it get to about a 1/4 tank before i would fill.

now, i have been filling it at 1/2 tank, and have not had any problems getting it to fill.