Fuel tank strap J nut availability?

2000xp8

SN Certified Technician
Aug 8, 2003
NJ
So I had to lower my gas tank to change out my Taylor battery box for a moroso box. J nut broke on one side. Bolt came out but now I can't finish putting the tank back up. LMR has them https://lmr.com/item/LRS-802060K/mustang-fuel-tank-strap-j-nut-50resto but id rather fix immediately, so are they to be found at any auto parts store? I also don't feel like running up the bill to $50 to get free shipping. I'm out of stuff to buy that isn't really expensive, lol.

By the way, until 20 minutes ago iver never heard the term J nut. Was searching speed nut and found nothing.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

It's been so long since i dropped my tank! lol

I don't know of an immediate replacement for them beyond the ones LMR sells.

Luckily I can get almost anything from them within one to two days.

What I'm saying is, I'm no help.

Thanks Dave, I think, lol.

I've never seen a speed clip this big or this well made and even if I could find one, not sure I'd trust it with the potential of 150lbs of gas.
I'm thinking lmr is my only choice, guess I'll need a little patience.

There’s a specialty hardware close to me that stocks some pretty big ass clips. I’ve used them on as big as an m12 bolt and they hold fine.

They can be somewhat difficult to find though.

If you can find a store that stocks Midwest fastener, they may have them. I think that’s the brand that makes them.

All that is, is a very pretty J Type Cage Nut.

If you know the length of the J clip and the thread pitch of the nut, you might be able to order one in the length you need or modify to fit (first link I found with good images):

Thanks noobs, but I was more or less looking to grab one tomorrow, if not I might as well just wait a few days and get the real thing. I thought someone may have found them in one of the chain stores.

No luck with J nut at Fastenal or hardware store with a huge nut and bolt section.
Knowing it was a long shot to buy in store, I compiled a $50 order of odds and ends at lmr this morning to get free shipping and placed it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users