full frame replacement for our unibody cars

Hack said:
I don't think people are generally "sore" about it. It just isn't a good idea from a money or performance standpoint. My opinion is that if you want to pay someone to hack up your car that's your business. I plan on hacking up my car at some point in the future, so I'm not going to tell you I think there's anything wrong with making changes.

But realize that your modifications will cost a lot of money to put back stock, and unless you are willing to spend a lot of time designing or adjusting the front and rear to work well together it will never work that well. You know the 80/20 rule - you can have a well-handling car with inexpensive and subtle modifications, or you can spend a mint for a slight additional improvement. The last bit of improvement costs a lot.

Your car will also be worth less money if you decide to sell in the future. So far from getting money back out, you will spend money to lose money (if that makes sense) :)

It would be cheaper to keep your classic as a fun car for nice days and buy a separate car for track days. You could pick up an 80s Fox Mustang set up for racing for less than a tube chassis would cost installed.

Again, there's nothing wrong with spending 2, 3 or even 10 times as much money to do what you want - but since you asked I figure it's my duty to at least make sure you're aware that that's what you are planning. Good luck!

Point taken that it would be a very costly mod. I've had this car since I was 15 and would never sell it. So, given the fact I love the look of these cars, I've always wanted it to be a tricked out driver; I really want to drive it every day. Resale is of absolutely no concern. Originality is not a concern of mine either; although I love the cars and respect them, my car is a 65 C code coupe that has been left for dead in the past, and the only original sheetmetal on it is the roof and doors.

I guess my point is that I accepted around 15 years ago the fact that I was putting more money in this car than it would ever be worth. I have around 25K in it now, although I will admit that a good deal of those expenses were associated with redoing things, which, in essence, is the reason for this post. I'm not sure what I'll do this time around on the car, and, accordingly, I'm still in the brainstorming stage of its next build. But, with an up and coming career now to fund things down the road, I know one thing; this time I want to know my absolute, ultimate goals for the car, and I really don't care what it costs. As I said before, I accepted the fact that this is a money pit hobby almost half of my life ago. Strangely, however, that realization did nothing to affect my zeal for the hobby except to make me dream for more money to reach my goals. :nice: :D

• Sponsors (?)

65up2d8 said:
Point taken that it would be a very costly mod. I've had this car since I was 15 and would never sell it. So, given the fact I love the look of these cars, I've always wanted it to be a tricked out driver; I really want to drive it every day. Resale is of absolutely no concern. Originality is not a concern of mine either; although I love the cars and respect them, my car is a 65 C code coupe that has been left for dead in the past, and the only original sheetmetal on it is the roof and doors.

I guess my point is that I accepted around 15 years ago the fact that I was putting more money in this car than it would ever be worth. I have around 25K in it now, although I will admit that a good deal of those expenses were associated with redoing things, which, in essence, is the reason for this post. I'm not sure what I'll do this time around on the car, and, accordingly, I'm still in the brainstorming stage of its next build. But, with an up and coming career now to fund things down the road, I know one thing; this time I want to know my absolute, ultimate goals for the car, and I really don't care what it costs. As I said before, I accepted the fact that this is a money pit hobby almost half of my life ago. Strangely, however, that realization did nothing to affect my zeal for the hobby except to make me dream for more money to reach my goals. :nice: :D
Sounds as though you and I are very similar in a lot of ways. Should be a lot of fun going forward with this project! :nice:

I'm looking forward to pics and descriptions as your project/car progresses. :)