Full Pi Motor Swap Questions

Max22

Jul 1, 2015
So my motor in my 96 Gt is toast and I now have a 99 PI Windsor motor to swap in. Here's where I get kind of lost, for starters I have a Romeo non PI motor currently in my car. Problem is what needs to be switched over since they are two different variations of 4.6? I've heard I need to switch over my timing cover and possibly the valve covers as well? I just don't know what will fit and what will not seemings as we are talking about going from a Romeo to a Windsor... I already know I need an 8 bolt flywheel *sigh* transfer over the old oil pan, fuel rails, and coil packs but as far as the covers and accessories go I'm not entirely sure. Also important to note that I did perform a full PI swap on the old motor so I have some things available to swap if necessary. I did notice that the connection for the oil sensor by the oil filter is different and I heard that was an easy switch? And I did see someone saying that instead of tapping the PI intake (I have the old one tapped but don't really want to swap it over) I can use one of the threaded plug spots in the block to screw the sensor into? I know there is wright ups for this but my situation is different enough that I felt it deserved a new thread.

• Sponsors (?)

The valve covers wont swap over, different amount of bolts. The only reason to swap over the accessory cover would be to install the original coil pack mounts. When I did an engine swap I originally rewired my harness to use the c.o.p.'s. and scrsapped the pack brackets. recently decided to go back to coil packs and mounted them on top of the intake manifold, inline with the driver side fuel rail. Fits great, wont be able to do it if you still have your egr though. That's the first I've heard about having to swap the oil pan. The oil pressure sensor is an easy swap, no worries there. I've read about using one of the other plugs for the sensor, but you'll probably have to extend the wiring. I'd just swap the intake you already have tapped. While it's off, I'd pull the crossover tube, clean it up, and add some sealant before re-installing it. The only thing you really need is the flywheel.

Do you have any pictures of that set up? I was thinking about deleting the egr...did it affect your mileage much? Also I heard people say they liked the fact that the non PI tensioner bolts on with 3 bolts instead of the new 1 bolt set up making the new set up a bit weaker? The oil pan part doesn't matter too much to me as the new motor I bought didn't come with a pan anyway.

Never noticed a change in fuel mileage with the egr gone. I haven't had any issues with the one bolt tensioner. as long as it's installed properly,I wouldn't think there be much tension put on the bolt itself.

Attachments

• 20161129_155145.jpg
    20161129_155145.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 250
  • 20161129_155129.jpg
    20161129_155129.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 239
Ah okay I see what you mean with the coil packs, thanks for the pictures. As far as the tensioner goes I looked into it further and more and more people said that with blowers they had trouble with the 1 bolt tensioner. I figure I'll just swap my old cover on as I do plan on boosting at some point That's good to hear with the egr delete though. Mileage isn't a huge concern of mine but I just didn't want to lose it for no gains other than a cleaner bay. Did you end up buying caps for it or just do the homemade route?

As far as the packs, I took some sheet metal and cut some tabs to allow me to bolt the packs together, other than that, they're zip tied to the fuel rail. I do have plans for a bracket to mount them to the egr bilt holes on the elbow. But fabrication isn't my thing, so who knows when that will be done.
For the egr, I bought a plate to put on the elbow. The bung on the header is welded shut. The last time I had the harness off, I removed all of the wiring and connectors for everything associated with the egr, (as well as the a/c stuff and coolant level sensor).