Future plans. Looking for advice.

Skidzz

Tinkerbell
Apr 11, 2005
Salt Lake City, UT
Ok, I just finished college and soon I should have a much better paying job. I'm also selling my house and I'm going to spend some of the money or so on the GT. Here's what I plan to do in the near future:

H&R springs, Bilstein S/S, LCA's, C/C plates.
New clutch
Rims/tires
Paint touch-up and new clear coat.
Cowl hood
Saleen s281 spoiler
MAYBE Nitrous

My long-term goal, however, is to swap the engine for something I can supercharge. I was thinking of just going with a MPH short-block, but I'm not sure yet. Basically, my goal at first is to have a set-up that pushes just enough power for the stock transmission and rear-end to handle, but I also want a set-up that has the potential to make 500rwhp once I eventually change the transmission and beef up the rear.

So my questions are:
How much hp will the stock t-45 and rear-end handle?
What is the best set-up to go with to meet that number, but later on be able to crank up to my 500rwhp goal?
About how much am I looking at spending on parts?

The reason I ask is because I'm debating if I actually want to do this or just sell the GT later on and buy a Terminator. I know that the obvious answer is the latter, but there is a sentimental value in my GT because of the time/money/pride that I have in it.

• Sponsors (?)

I can appreciate wanting to keep the car, I love my Cobra and want to make it as powerful as a Terminator since I can do a little at a time cause I cant afford a Termi. That being said if I had enough cash to cover the difference after selling my car I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Well, I actually plan to buy a different car as my DD. Something with good gas-mileage and maybe AWD, and something that I won't be tempted to mod. I'm thinking about getting a mid-late 90's Audi A4. So, I plan to have the Model A, the DD, and a Mustang of some kind. I might even consider trying to buy a terminator motor from a wrecked cobra and dropping that into the GT...

from what i've seen the stock t45 isnt gonna hold much more power than the engine can hold as well, around 400rwhp. i might stretch it out to around 500rwhp but it would be on borrowed time. i blew my t45 with 240rwhp spraying a 100 shot on top of that and street tires. as for the rear end, i dont trust them on slicks at all. a lot of people are in the 500rwhp+ range on stock rear end and no problems, but there are also a lot that grenaded it with much less power. i would plan to go ahead and build the rear and buy a new tranny before trying to make a lot of power but thats just me. i will be going to the dyno once i get my tb/plenum and long tubes on the car to see what i put down and get my tune perfect. i expect to be around 380rwhp on spray and im planning to build the rear and build a forged short block before i do any more mods. i already have a built tranny.

Ok, so then if I'm looking to do it a little at a time, then I guess my goal is to have a supercharged engine setup that can be cranked down to about 350-380 rwhp while I have my stock tranni and rear, but something that I can crank up to about 500rwhp later on when I beef up the tranni and rear. So here's what I'm thinking:

MPH forged short-block w/ ported heads, blower cams, and paxton or vortech sc running a conservative tune. Would I be able to crank this set-up to about 500rwhp later on?

Yeah that setup will be good for 500+ rwhp with intercooler and a good fuel system (tank, pumps, lines, injectors and wiring upgrade). The rear and tranny will hold just fine IF you dond drag race it. On the street and even SCCA/NASA racing will be ok. Its only thoes hard launches with all that power that grenade the rear ends and kill the tranny. Well not ONLY but mostley anyway.

yea that is true, if ur not drag racing it and launching hard on dr's or slicks then the stock rear/tranny will be fine. i was talking about beffing it up to handle the power with slicks. i have a new goal of lifting the front wheels by the end of the summer, but i dont think its gonna happen.

Ok, so then if I'm looking to do it a little at a time, then I guess my goal is to have a supercharged engine setup that can be cranked down to about 350-380 rwhp while I have my stock tranni and rear, but something that I can crank up to about 500rwhp later on when I beef up the tranni and rear. So here's what I'm thinking:

MPH forged short-block w/ ported heads, blower cams, and paxton or vortech sc running a conservative tune. Would I be able to crank this set-up to about 500rwhp later on?

HMMMMM turning the boost up and down on the fly here you go, as for 500hp yep and more whatever you want a turbo gots. http://www.hellionpowersystems.com

As far as tranny issues, try for a T56 swap and good clutch if you know how to drive it will last forever. Rear end no biggie put a carrier and 31 axles on, thats pretty cheap. Motor wise MPH shortblock or MMR. Get turbo cams, port the heads and you got a roll racing machine and with a 2 step it wont be to slow from a dig either. :nice:

PREPARE TO WASTE ALOT OF MONEY :(