FYI: rear end noise

bobc83

Jul 31, 2007
Normal,IL
Not sure whether this is Tech or not, so Stangnet god's please do as you wish.

This is just a little rant that may possibly help out someone one day on their quest to fix their stang.

Previous to moving from SC to Illinois, my GT had a 3.90 motive gear set and I loved it, but the rear end started making a howling noise of sorts. Well I knew I was about to move and had an extra set of FRPP 3.55's in the shop along with a new bearing and rebuild kit that I could have installed by a local guy(who also installed the 3.90s) that had done many rear ends in many of my own, and friends vehicles. He installs everything on evening at his house and drove fine. So all is good until I am pulling out of a gas station on the long drive up and I hear sort of a faint creaking sound coming from the rear whenever I would take off from a dead stop. So I get out check it...sounds like it's coming from the driver side MM LCA I had put on about a month before. Anyhow I had dealt with the noise for a few weeks and it was getting worse, and embarrassing in traffic, but it really did sounds like something suspension wasn't lubed properly. Long story short...a buddy and I started investigating the noise this weekend and took off the drive shaft to find that the pinion nut would come off by hand!!! :nonono: So just to get home we tighten the nut and take it for a test drive around the block. Amazingly all noises and rear end clunk,whine and creaking is gone. Felt like an idiot for not checking something so simple. So hopefully someone else can learn from my mistake and neglect. But it does go to show that sounds can be deciving when trying to diagnose and troubleshoot a problem. Sorry for the rant :D

• Sponsors (?)