FYI Steeda has Idoit reps

Yobi1Kanobi

Apr 9, 2003
Well in my hunt for a coilover kit I called Steeda among Griggs and MM. Well I explain to the rep that i wanted a well balance street car setup up and he recomended a 150 spring rate and that sound a little wierd to me(I dont know much about coil over) just becuz others had recommended spring rates in the 300s...I kept telling the guy if he is sure about that since I really dont want a drag car "I want an all around car" he proceeded yes sir 150 if you got a fiberglass hood, small block and aluminun heads.... Well thank god i didnt take his word for it. I ended up with a better deal from Gratanelli.... Nice piece too with a 300 spring rate on a 14 inch spring...

• Sponsors (?)

Yea he was right. 300lb 14" coilover spring is extremely tight...road race cars run 250-300lb. You would have been good with a 175lb 14" spring. Guess it helps to listen to someone if you ask them a question....

Yea he was right. 300lb 14" coilover spring is extremely tight...road race cars run 250-300lb. You would have been good with a 175lb 14" spring. Guess it helps to listen to someone if you ask them a question....

I'm going to respectfully disagree here.

300lb 14in will not be overly tight. the fact that it's a 14in spring will help the ride out. But even a 300lb 12in isn't extremely tight. Most open track guys that are serious about it are running 500lb + springs on the front...at a 10 inch travel.

Well I'm just speaking from personal experience...back when I was still driving on the street. I've had numerous coils up front, even 225lb was pretty tight. I would never put a 300lb spring on my car, that's close to a 600lb stock style spring.

I dont know i think 3 out of 4 companies might be right you know...Every other company was recomending between 300 and 350. That range is about personal preference.150-175 is just a whole different ball game. And you know thats not the only time the sales staff has been full of **** I think that if you are over paying for parts you should get expert help...If i just wanna know what the label on the box says I will call summit.(not to say that i have got good advice from summit.....

Im going to have to agree w/ Troy here, 300lb. coilover spring is a very tight spring.

Dont get mad at the advise just because its not what you wanna hear. You asked for help, didnt get the answer you wanted, so now your mad! So why did you ask the question if you already knew what you wanted in the first place???:shrug:

Ok i guess let me explain I want a car with a spring setup that is geared more towards a road racer...Not to say that I won't do the stoplight terror or take it down the 1/4 but i am willing to sacrifice a little there for a more all around car.

Dont take things too personal(unless you work for steeda) I am just pointing out that these sales guy need to maybe need to know the product better or maybe Im just going to be pissing blood from the harsh ride of my car..

yobi, go over to corral and search for "coil over spring rate" and you'll see that many people are running 400+ on the front on DDs. Most people that are concerned more with handling than with drag will be running 250+.

I really doubt there will be anyone that is concerned with handling that will be running under a 250 spring.

14" 175lb is the standard street/strip most common....

I would never run a 300lb spring unless I wanted a road race setup

Exactly I am saying that i am leaning more towards a street road race setup..I dont want a lose front end and it isnt going to hurt your 1/4 mile time all that much anyhow since I am not going to be running any slicks or putting my car on pink or anything like that. :nice:

It wont transfer...those springs arent made for that...build the car for what you want, you said road race so there ya go.
Expect crap ETs if you ever do go race 1/4 mile

Why I said the 14/175 is the common street/strip all around spring. Works well for street drving, 1/4 mile, and is fine in the corners but will not give you the BEST road race adv as a 12/300 or soemthing would, and not as much 1/4 mile as a 14/130 would

I ran 12/200s in my car for like 2 weeks....they sucked...spin city

Well the rear might be treated to either torque arm, weight jacker lowers and panhard bar, with my current tokico springs and hp shocks or coil over in the rear.

I dont know if it would be worth the extra expense to change the HP tokico's to Adj Illumina.

Plus I figure I'm gonna spin anyways I might wanna handle better....