FYI: Weird Electrical Outage today

sam woodson

Feb 21, 2007
I drove to work, no problems, gauges worked, pwr windows, blower motor, radio, turn signals, etc.

When I got in the car to leave I started it and immediately found the power windows would not work but the Pwr door locks did, the car was running fine.

Here are all the things that were NOT working:

Pwr windows
Fuel gauge
Water Temp gauge
Oil gauge
Clock
Radio
Blower motor
Turn signals
Wipers
Hazard Lights

What was weird, the "Low Fuel light" was On, but I know I had plenty of gas.

Well, I was hot with no AC or windows down, I drove home as fast as I could. When I went to turn the car OFF, the Oil light came on and it sounded like the starter engaged again for a second. I quit and it looked like the key went too far forward. I carefully turned the key back off and the car turned off.

I then turned the Key On and the radio, windows, etc worked again. I've started the car again since and everything seems to be normal again.

It was weird, just an FYI incase this happens to anyone else.

Thanks,
Sam

• Sponsors (?)

Also check for a broken ground wire to the dashboard chasis. On my 86 it's very near the where the radio mounts. Your list of items of malfunctioning accessories sounds classic of that broken or intermittent ground wire.

If you're able and the problem is what I've suggested it is, you might also want ot install an additional ground wire to that chasis.

An easy way to check to see if I'm right is to take a jumper cable and ground it to the battery then clip the other end onto the dashboard chasis. If everything starts working, then you'll know instantly that that's what it is.