G force opinions please

gt40_2003wes

I did sound a wee bit gay there.
Aug 14, 2005
ky
hey guys i have been looking into getting a G force transmission for a while now just wanna hear from some guys that have been running them. hows the shifting? are they smooth above 6500 rpm's? i was originally gonna go with a TKO but im gonna rev this motor to 7k and i have heard alot of ppl say that TKO's don't like the upper RPM shifting.

• Sponsors (?)

From things ive read and a conversation that i personally had with g-force i would never buy anything from them.

With any schronized transmission your gonna have trouble shifting past 6500. I just got my transmission back from Liberty gear, they faceplated my TKO for me, i havent used it yet but i have had a friends faceplated TKO600 in my car and ive driven it in his car and shifting a faceplated TKO is like budda, sooooo smooth, its not even right how easy they are to powershift

That's the problem with all the re-geared super T5's. Eveyone talks about how great they must be, but no one actually has a re-geared super T5 that they have driven street/strip for 50K miles or more.

The Tremec 3550 I have is in my second 5.0 Mustang with over 100K miles on the trans. It is a little noisy but it shifts like a hot knife through butter - fast, and smooth everytime.

That's the problem with all the re-geared super T5's. Eveyone talks about how great they must be, but no one actually has a re-geared super T5 that they have driven street/strip for 50K miles or more.

The Tremec 3550 I have is in my second 5.0 Mustang with over 100K miles on the trans. It is a little noisy but it shifts like a hot knife through butter - fast, and smooth everytime.

yea i have drove a couple 3550's and as far as shifting goes i love them but im not to sure i can beat on a 3550 like i want to with the torque that my car puts down.

ive seen a couple 3550 cars laying down 600+ hp and live for along time, this isnt a upgraded t5, all it is is a 10 spline tko..

i loveD my 3550 it took the worst powershifting abuse i could dish out and begged for more!

all the upgraded t5 **** usually dosent last very long, hell its still a T5!

ive seen a couple 3550 cars laying down 600+ hp and live for along time, this isnt a upgraded t5, all it is is a 10 spline tko..

i loveD my 3550 it took the worst powershifting abuse i could dish out and begged for more!

all the upgraded t5 **** usually dosent last very long, hell its still a T5!

i have also seen a t5 last for 2 years on 450 rwhp but that doesn't mean mine will. what im saying is i have about 2500 bucks that im willing to drop on a transmission and i want it to be able to handle all the abuse i can throw at it. so i am actually open to some opinions. i have heard some good thing about astro a-5's anyone have experience with those?

Where do you get 3550s? It seems like everybody knows somebody who has one in their car, and maybe I'm living under a rock, but where can you get one?

i have also seen a t5 last for 2 years on 450 rwhp but that doesn't mean mine will. what im saying is i have about 2500 bucks that im willing to drop on a transmission and i want it to be able to handle all the abuse i can throw at it. so i am actually open to some opinions. i have heard some good thing about astro a-5's anyone have experience with those?

I can't speak for the A5, but Tony over at Astro is great to work with. I have a "heavy duty" Astro-built T5 in my car, and it has been great.

the gears are great in the a5, how ever its just a beefed up t5! the case is a pos! dude if you want a strong trans and have 2500 to blow on one, get a tko! ive had both, the a5 still broke, had bearing problems, the tko did not all i managed to do was break a shifter handle.. look at this, a t5 weighs 65 lbs dry, a tko weighs 120 dry, which do you think will be stronger?

in the end its your decision, just trying to aim you in the path of non stupidity..

Im in the middle of this debate right now too. With a G-force you can just swap it in. Can you swap over the stock bellhousing, shifter, and drive shaft on to a TKO 500? Im under the impression that you cant. I havent added it all up yet, but Im sure the TKO will be more than $2800 once you buy all the supporting parts, not to mention a new 26 spline clutch.

Im in the middle of this debate right now too. With a G-force you can just swap it in. Can you swap over the stock bellhousing, shifter, and drive shaft on to a TKO 500? Im under the impression that you cant. I havent added it all up yet, but Im sure the TKO will be more than $2800 once you buy all the supporting parts, not to mention a new 26 spline clutch.

its a direct swap with a 3550

I have a TKO 600 in my car right now that I bought after destroying a built auto and an upgraded T-5. I can't attest to it's longevity since I've only put about 2k on it in 4 years, but when I shift hard and fast it just laughs at me and keeps asking for more. It's a strong transmission and I don't really have any issues with notchy shifting or anything.

If your making power that requires a strong transmission then you should also be replacing the bellhousing with a blowproof one, so if you factor in that cost you are almost even. Unless you dont like your ankles.

you can use the driveshaft with a different yoke on a TKO

Thanks for answering my questions guys. I know you should upgrade the bellhousing, just saying if he is sticking to a $2800 budget that he is limited. As far as my set up, Im only going to be at about 400 rwhp on a F/I stock short block, so I wont be revving it like a built stroker. I do plan on using a steel bellhousing to be safe though.

go see some movies of a flywheels letting go on youtube, you'll find the extra 250 i did its just plain stupid to be sitting in a wheel chair, b/c you have not legs. You didn't have any problems buying everything to get you up to the power level, and you dont sound like some cruise and shine guy. Your saying you want to rev high !!

I have a TKO 600 i dont power shift but its had over 600 hp put through it no problems so far, If you wait a while you'll find something on CL. In madison there was a T56 conversion setup used for around 2500 with everything including clutch. so you just need to shop a bit

Hi guys. I had a g-force. It was supposed to handle a lot of power and it was a direct fit. BUT it was too whiny for me as a streeter. Others may not notice so dunno. And YES the tko is ALOT more expensive to put in and subject to vibrations at certain speeds.

Being that the OP hasnt really chimed in for a while, I have come across a new idea to share. What about:

D&D Performance - BA61/62 T-56 Magnum 94-95 Mustang Kit

I know this is for a 94-95 GT, cause thats what I have. My question is, anyone have experience driving a GT500? I guess this is the T-56 Magnum out of those cars... The kit has a steel bellhousing, driveshaft, etc, but I would have to buy a clutch. Oh well. Im just curious about the tranny itself. Some say TKO's have problems, others say G-force sucks, how about these? Im just trying to make up my mind so I can buy one and get my car going again.

I have a T5 that has the 3.35 D&D super alloy kit. Its a smooth shifting trans. I dont know about over 5500 rpm shifting but normal driving and spirited driving are easy to shift.