Game over.. Blew my motor

turbogt

May 1, 2003
Montana
I either had a rod bearing let go or wrist pin.. Either way, the Cobra's not seeing any action this summer.. I'm not working for the summer and don't wish to so I will work on either building a boss 347 or a dart 427 later this winter with all the goodies.. Bummer...

• Sponsors (?)

I dred doing that. When something brakes its time to upgrade:).

A Dart 427 would be wicked, If you have the money why not just get a dart block no mater 347 or 427 then you wont have to worry about spliting another block.

Not sure if I want to spend the dough to switch over to 351 parts.. thats the only thing holdin me back... The boss block is pretty damn strong and you can still go to 4.125 I believe.. I'm a big fan of big bores...

Not sure if I want to spend the dough to switch over to 351 parts.. thats the only thing holdin me back... The boss block is pretty damn strong and you can still go to 4.125 I believe.. I'm a big fan of big bores...

I hear that. I f I am not mistaken the Boss block can be taken out to 364ci. I am sure that would be plenty:) With about 15lb or more pounds of boost:D

Bummer.....You just got that pile of parts too... :(

Where you beating on it or just normal driving she pooched??? Been there and had that a few times over in my years of playing with cars...Sucks !!!!

The blower has been on it for about 15000... I have been researching and researching and its dart or nothing.. The boss block doesn't seem to be nearly as good as they make it to be. I just started it up from sittin overnight and it had a horrible vibration.. Pulled plugs which looked excellent, ran it at idle for another couple of minutes and started to here the dreaded clap. Shut her off.. thats all.. I will be on hardcore 5.0 for awhile building a lonnng parts list.. Either way, I have to trailer it 220 miles home because I'm at my parents house right now. But, I just don't see the point of forgin a stock block? I really want to go 427 but I dont want to deal with accessories and crap.. Time will tell friends.. I still have all summer off and now I can put her up in the air and clean up the engine bay,finish sanding and fitting the sideskirts, etc... Last year before I put her away I did run it at 160 mph+ for about 45 minutes.. I"m sure that's what made it a ticking time bomb.. This car was never supposed to be pretty, I bought it with the intention of making it my racecar, so I suppose it's time to do that.. I just get carried away with appearance stuff because my other stang was gorgeous and I didn't like the way this one looked... Wish me luck!!!

I don't know about taking a Boss block to that bore. If something went wrong would you be able to sleeve it?

The Boss block also needs a custom piston for strokers because the cylinder is shorter by some thousandths. Once you get to the expense of custom pistons, the Boss block isn't looking like such a great value...

Adam

+3 and were is this road you can do 160+ for 45min at....I would like to take a vacation and drive it. Was this a silver state classic type thing?

hahah.. Montana is a really big state with very few people... Only the western 1/2has mountains, the gay eastern half is flat... Early in the morning last fall.. Passed two cars the entire time, which i slowed down to do.. It's also four lane interstate with a divider so you can't flame me for risking injury to anyone else..

I was also researching the boss last night and decided it's a joke.. I will be compiling my parts list for a 427 dart this week..

If the block and internals are made for the power ... he should be able to 160 all day. .. on a closed course. Too many folks over power their internals these days. Most cars out there are time bombs.

I know my car for example should be able to handle up to 550rwhp with all my parts and the steel crank so I will never go over that number. Plenty of peeps out there would take the same car to 640rwhp and run it for bragging rights them ..boom.

hahah.. Montana is a really big state with very few people... Only the western 1/2has mountains, the gay eastern half is flat... Early in the morning last fall.. Passed two cars the entire time, which i slowed down to do.. It's also four lane interstate with a divider so you can't flame me for risking injury to anyone else..

I was also researching the boss last night and decided it's a joke.. I will be compiling my parts list for a 427 dart this week..

Ahh, so it was in Montana.

Is it stll basicly no limit or did they go back to a speed limit? Last I heard they were talking about going back to some kind of limit.

If the block and internals are made for the power ... he should be able to 160 all day. .. on a closed course. Too many folks over power their internals these days. Most cars out there are time bombs.

I know my car for example should be able to handle up to 550rwhp with all my parts and the steel crank so I will never go over that number. Plenty of peeps out there would take the same car to 640rwhp and run it for bragging rights them ..boom.

Indeed.. Valvetrain and keeping enough oil in the pan are my only two concerns.. By the way, I will have the car up and running by wednesday.. I will let you guys know how then :) It wasn't a rod or a bearing

Yes, we did go back to speedlimits in 2000 and our highway deaths doubled the following year.. But like I said, in the eastern half of the state especially, we have nice flat open interstates with VERY little traffic, especially right after sunrise.. After that run I also changed the rear end fluid, and replaced wheel bearings just in case...

Yes.. I'm very happy so I can keep finishing up the other little projects on it first... I'm still going to start on the dart block though.. I need to read pokageeks 408 pain thread to see if I really want to go 427

Well.. I just got the 205cc heads on..I can tell it has plenty more pull top end but not pushing it til I get my 42# inj on. Again I have to wait til the dyno shop can fit me in end of month.

If it helps you , I would say that the biggest frustration for me throughout this entire process was having constant stop signs in front of me. I had to wait for this..wait for that..wait for this .. wait for that .. 50% there and then wait wait wait. If I had to do it over again I would have bought a crate engine shipped to my door and put it in. I am a fast paced guy and this engine could have been in and done in 1 month and instead it took a good 6 months IIRC to get it in the car and running. After that it sat because of issues. It nearly drove me nuts. I was told my MAF was calc'd for 36# and it was never calc'd properly. So I drove it and waxed the spark plugs and the o2's and that was a nice piece of change. Then expecting 400rwhp from heads that weren't much better than chunks of aluminum bolted onto the car..set me back a few months and dyno time and personal time too.