gas mileage per tank help

Hey im new to the mustang scene. My car (listed in sig) get between 140-170 miles per tank of gas. I dont have a check engine light so i dont think that its o2 sensors. also i can smell that the car is running rich. other than that can you guys think of any other things that can be causing the car to suck down gas this badly. BTW im not driving it hard. sorry if this has been posted before and thanks for the help

• Sponsors (?)

my old 04 with 4.30 gears in perfect condition saw 150-175 with spirited city only driving. It did a little better once I got rid of the 4 cats..

My current 98 with 1 dead cylinder and another 1/2 dead and 4.10 gears (check engine light on as well) gets 175 per tank.

(btw, a tank is full to 1/4 to me.) I ran the 98 240 miles the other day and was worried about running out and finding another filling station.

im pretty sure that my car still has the stock gears, which i believe are 3.27. i bought this car used so i dont really know the extent of all the mods that have actually been done. but ive read that other people have been breaking 200 miles a tank easily and have much more mods done to their cars

Doesn't sound like ur too far off. U sure ur taking it easy on the shifts? I myself am a spirited driver and only start to worry when I don't break 150. Also the type/brand of fuel will effect u. Here in MO they are mandated to use 10% ethanol and that will hurt mileage a bit.

pretty sure im taking easy shifts...between 2-3k as for fuel in runnin on 87 from either an exxon or mobil station. and idk if it has any ethanol but right now im at around a 1/4 tank left and have already done 134 miles. my car is definatly running rich because you can smell raw gasoline in the exhaust. also try n get it into 5th gear as soon as possible

With My 01 GT with blower, 3.73s, and 42lbs inj, etc, I have only filled it up once so far since I just got it, but I have 150 miles on half a tank and I can say 1/2 of that is highway and half of it is heavy on the throttle, I havnt driven it enough yet to see what it does, but it aint bad actually, sounds like you are way rich. Def. get the codes checked even if it aint flashing and maybe get on the dyno and get the afr read out?

im pretty sure the guys at my shop will b able to check the air/fuel ratio...i have also debated on getting a dyno tune but thats going to run me a lot of money and i dont want to have to throw money down at that. hopefully my mechanics will get everything all worked out. other than the gas mileage the car run amazingly so ill keep u guys posted on what happens tomorrow.

I'm getting about 250-260 per tank before the light comes on - but when the light comes on and I fill up the tank all the way (and I mean ALLLL the way) it takes at most 13.5 gallons. I want run the car until it's truly out of gas to find out if that's actually a 15 gallon tank in the back. One of my colleagues at work has a 2003ish E300 - diesel benz - that he installed a 20 gallon reserve tank in ( takes up a slice of the large trunk). I would love to have a reserve 10gallon fuel cell in the back so I could drive longer distances on the highway without frequent refills.

I have got as low as 170 driving strickly in the city and letting my car warm up for ten min in the winter, for the most part i get 200-220 on a tank in the city and 320-350 on the highway, last highway trip I got 26.5 mpg driving 75 the whole way. I always use shell v-power gas, no substitutes what so ever. I would say chip and some BG 44k gas treatment, trust me for $25 you can't go wrong i gained 3mpg on the highway after using that stuff

I'm getting about 250-260 per tank before the light comes on - but when the light comes on and I fill up the tank all the way (and I mean ALLLL the way) it takes at most 13.5 gallons. I want run the car until it's truly out of gas to find out if that's actually a 15 gallon tank in the back. One of my colleagues at work has a 2003ish E300 - diesel benz - that he installed a 20 gallon reserve tank in ( takes up a slice of the large trunk). I would love to have a reserve 10gallon fuel cell in the back so I could drive longer distances on the highway without frequent refills.

Doesn't that Mercedes diesel get in excess of 28+ MPG?

And I wonder if anyone has ever fabricated and fitted an extra fuel cell into a Mustangs trunk:shrug: