Gas Mileage Question, Everyone Post!

well Im looking at a sn95 5.0 tomorrow and the guy says he gets 12-13mpg around the streets. since his work and home and everything is real close. im not sure if this is because of his driving style but the mods he told me he has is bbk air induction, ported cobra intake, Stock heads, bbk Shorties headers, H pipe, flash master american thunder, and 3.73 gears, Crane 1.7 rocker arms. now i think ive seen people with similar setups get better mileage, If i got this car and chaged the heads to afr' 165s would the mileage go down? or up?

Also does this car sound like a good deal it has 110k on it for 7500 with stuff listed above.

I seem to remember people getting like 17,18,19 with modded NA setups. So i was wondering if you can post your mpg and what mods you have that affect it, really curious on how much the gears affect it.

• Sponsors (?)

16 city and 24 highway.

I've had as little as 13mpg, but only on tanks where I've had lots of short trips (1-3 miles) and using the go pedal a lot more than usual (happened after each exhaust mod :) ).

Sounds a little low to me, but not far off by much. I run my car for a minute or so, when cold. I also don't cruise around at 3,500rpm.

I think the last time I checked mine, it was about 8 miles to the gallon. I just cannot keep my 13 off the floor. I love passing cars more than anything. It could be around 3 and I would still drive it like I stole it.

Paul

that is the thing. we can all get either 20 or 12 MPG, depending upon how far we bury the pedal.
the car could probably use some sensors - i would check the ECT, ACT, and lambdas to make sure they are trimming the curves as they should.

might also pull codes for fun before you buy it - just to see what gives. also, if it gets smogged, have him run it through before you buy to be sure it is clean enough.....

good luck. im lookin also!

i do about 1/4 highway and 3/4 city driving, and i start getting nervous at around 200 miles on a full tank. the fillup is usually around 12 gals, so i'm guessing i get about 17 miles per gallon on my mildly modified n/a engine. not very good, but i haven't hooked up the tweecer yet :nonono: and i think i can lean it out a little.

gears may affect it a little because you can cruise at a somewhat lower rpm without lugging as much, so if you are careful, you can theoretically get a little better mileage. then again, they make it so much fun to step on it, it will be hard being careful. :D

mine has 90k, i just bought it 3 months ago for $7000. it had the headers, exhaust, new top, gears, cai and stereo upgrade with 600w amp and subwoofer. i have since installed the heads, intake, pulleys, control arms and lowering springs. make sure the a/c works and try to get someone to put it up on a lift and look for leaks in the rear end and radiator, and check the motor mounts.

but if you want a fast mustang on a budget, the 5.0 is the way to go. performance parts cost so much less than they do for the 4.6! :nice:

I just filled up about 25 minutes ago. I got about 12.4 mpg out of this last tank. I usually get an avg. of about 20 or higher, but all of my driving has been short around town driving. 4 mile trip from home to work, 1 mile trip to Wal-mart or bank, etc, etc. I've also been a tad heavy footed the last couple of weeks.

I baby the car, I get around 17 on a mildly modified 5.0. Best I've gotten on the highway is 29 though!! That was just last year on 102,000 K. Mind you, I treat this car like it's my owner, and from what i've seen alot of us stangers like to punch it whenever they see open road. Don't get me wrong, I drive fast, probably once or twice a day, but most of time the car's a cruiser.

igotyofire said:
so if i buy this car , and if i were to put AFR 165 heads on it. would the cars gas mileage go down since it is breathing better gettin more flow? Im sure a cam would have some affect to this also tho.
yeah heads and cam would bring the mpg down because you are getting more air through the engine. more air=more fuel=more power.

the milage should not differ too terribly much with forced induction (within reason) - the stoichiometry should be about the same no matter how much you flow (crude generality).

HISSIN50 said:
the milage should not differ too terribly much with forced induction (within reason) - the stoichiometry should be about the same no matter how much you flow (crude generality).
True in concept, but remember most guys with power adders have larger fuel injectors, FMU's, increased adj on FPR's which all cause more fuel to be used. My car, for "safe tune" reasons runs fairly rich when cruising around.

RC

94GTLaserRC said:
True in concept, but remember most guys with power adders have larger fuel injectors, FMU's, increased adj on FPR's which all cause more fuel to be used. My car, for "safe tune" reasons runs fairly rich when cruising around.

RC
yep, i agree. as i said, 'within reason...crude generality.'

a lot of it comes down to the tune. if someone was just super anal, they could tune it to be pretty efficient; this is out of the range of most of us. i sure would not, as i normally error on the fat, rich side. having grown up with carbs, that taints my perspective as well. hard to tune any carb to carry 500 or 600HP and get any more milage than a tank.
(i agree with ya - just providing perspective on why i said that).
:)

HISSIN50 said:
yep, i agree. as i said, 'within reason...crude generality.'

a lot of it comes down to the tune. if someone was just super anal, they could tune it to be pretty efficient; this is out of the range of most of us. i sure would not, as i normally error on the fat, rich side. having grown up with carbs, that taints my perspective as well. hard to tune any carb to carry 500 or 600HP and get any more milage than a tank.
(i agree with ya - just providing perspective on why i said that).
:)

well even with boost and a rich tune at part throttle your only bone to be a few points off the stock Air Fuel ratio, and at part throttle your not going to be seeing boost....well turbo atleast.....so i would think that with boost you should get the same assuming you drive it the same as you did with out boost...personaily i would never drive a turbo stang at anything but WOT....whats the point of the boost if you aint using it.