gas pedal differences...?

stangbear427

Nov 11, 2002
New England
Besides the obvious completely different look of the two, is there any reason why a gas pedal from an auto wouldn't work in a stick car? My (5 spd) pedal is broken on one side at the pivot so it flops from side to side... pita. I have a gas pedal out of an AOD car which looks pretty stupid, but it's nice and tight. Anybody know if it'll work right?

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, the auto one is narrow, longer, and flat. The 5 spd pedal is shorter, wider, and contoured like the arch of your foot. I'm actually about four hours from home now with my laptop, so no, I can't post any pics now. Sorry, wish I could!

OK, I finally got around to tackling this little project. First of all, getting the accel. cable connected again is a huge pain, but other than that it's pretty basic. I pulled out the broken one and installed the AOD pedal, which worked perfectly well but was positioned very differently on the floor than the 5spd one was. heel/toe driving was just way too awkward, and I couldn't live with it so I decided to try to fix the original pedal and put it back in. Right now I think this is the best fix for this problem, until someone starts making these oem pedals for us. Of course, a junkyard may have one for you, but I think that the same thing will happen over time because where it broke is a pretty week spot. Here was my solution:
full_4714_p86696.jpeg

Basically, the plastic on the pedal broke where the pin goes through, so it flopped around. this is a Mavromont style solution, I broke an angle iron in half and enlarged one of the holes so it would fit over the pin, pulled it down tight and screwed it to the pedal itself. It's like a rock now, perfect. In retrospect, the hole wouldn't need to be enlarged because the pin can be driven out with a hammer and then put through the hole and driven back in, but I don't know what's harder in the long run. Just figured I'd update the thread for reference.

*edit* in the event that anybody needs a pristine AOD gas pedal assembly, I just so happen to have one to give away. :D