Engine Gas smell in cabin, car died on highway.

91GTstroked

15 Year Member
Jun 14, 2007
Just like the title says. My car always seems to have a strong gas smell. Basically if I have it running, and I'm by the engine or around the car I smell like fuel.

This morning I went for a drive on the highway, I can smell gas in the cabin. Also I had a loss of power, car started running rough, then died on me.

I pulled off to the side, let it sit for 10-15 seconds and it started back up. Made it back (about 10 miles) without it happening again.

Last summer I replaced the fpr, timing is set at 13 degrees. I have a o/r h pipe, smog and egr are deleted.

I just ran codes:

KOEO:
10, 15, 33.

KOER:
Says only 6 cylinders
94, 44, 33, 13.

I'm lost what I should look into now, but I don't trust driving it far from home now.

Any help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

The missing cats will not help the fuel smell. That’s not your only problem with the codes and strength of the smell. What other smog stuff is missing?
I suspect the fuel filter is an issue in addition to the codes. One that cannot flow enough would explain the stop, wait and go.
Do you ever see any fuel puddles or any fuel along the lies from the tank to the injectors? How is the vent line from the charcoal canister to the tank?
Jrichker probably has a better list, but check your codes against this list. https://www.foxstang.com/reading-mustang-trouble-codes-eec/

Reactions: 1 user
The missing cats will not help the fuel smell. That’s not your only problem with the codes and strength of the smell. What other smog stuff is missing?
I suspect the fuel filter is an issue in addition to the codes. One that cannot flow enough would explain the stop, wait and go.
Do you ever see any fuel puddles or any fuel along the lies from the tank to the injectors? How is the vent line from the charcoal canister to the tank?
Jrichker probably has a better list, but check your codes against this list. https://www.foxstang.com/reading-mustang-trouble-codes-eec/
I replaced the fuel filter last year. I don't see any fuel puddles anywhere. I just looked at the charcoal canister. Last year I pulled the line off at the intake and it had a cap on it. So I took the cap off and then put the hose back on.

But now I see the other line isn't hooked up to anything. I'm wondering if it was deleted. The EGR is also off the car.

Attachments

• IMG_20200427_191528142.jpg
    IMG_20200427_191528142.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 97
You are probably missing the vent tube line from the gas tank, you kinda need that.
There seems to be some hard plastic lines in the inner fender area that are not hooked up.

Many years ago I think I removed that whole evap on my old car. I'm starting to think it's not hooked up at all. Wondering what I should do.

Maybe, cap that hose off again going to the intake.

I'll have to check everything out. I'd assume it still goes back to the tank. Don't think I can get to it without lowering tank.

There is a hard to line under the car. Toward front of pass floor pan, the plastic line connects to the steel line and runs to the canister.
In the back, the steel line stops and then there is a about a 12-18” rubber hose that connects to vapor valve. You may be able to reach up and connect without dropping tank.

Im in the middle of refurbishing my tank and lines, so this is all fresh in my mind.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
There is a hard to line under the car. Toward front of pass floor pan, the plastic line connects to the steel line and runs to the canister.
In the back, the steel line stops and then there is a about a 12-18” rubber hose that connects to vapor valve. You may be able to reach up and connect without dropping tank.

Im in the middle of refurbishing my tank and lines, so this is all fresh in my mind.

I think I found the line in the fender. Installing it on some new hose.

Tomorrow I'm also replacing the injector harness I've been needing to do.

Attachments

• IMG_20200427_214925449.jpg
    IMG_20200427_214925449.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 103
Reactions: 1 user
Got a lot of work done today. I have the charcoal canister all hooked up, swapped out injector harness, and installed two more gauges.

Now I can monitor vacuum and fuel pressure while driving.

Its been raining today, so can't drive it until Friday. Car seems to run good at idle.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_20200428_192608626.jpg
    IMG_20200428_192608626.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 92
Reactions: 2 users
Id change the fuel pump if its old. $100 @ oreillys. Check plugs/change plugs. Inspect spark plug wires. Not sure about the gas smell. Mine did that when i tried to top it off one time. Smelt like gas in cabin.

Id change the fuel pump if its old. $100 @ oreillys. Check plugs/change plugs. Inspect spark plug wires. Not sure about the gas smell. Mine did that when i tried to top it off one time. Smelt like gas in cabin.
I have a walbro 255 lph pump I could install. Changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor last summer.