Fox Gas tank refurbishment

gearhead77

Mar 13, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
So, I saved some bucks (hopefully) by sending my injectors out for cleaning. While the tank is out and on the idea of doing things once, should I have the gas tank professionally cleaned and sealed? I live within easy driving distance of this place:

They clean and seal the tank. Looks like around $300. I’ve looked at the DIY kits and it seems like more than I’d like to attempt myself because I don’t think I can get it done 100% right .

I know I can buy a new tank for way cheaper than that, but would this help for long term preservation of the car. Part of me says yes and the other part says it’s lived 31 years the way it is, it can live the rest of its life without it. Car is low mile and I’m only the second owner.

• Sponsors (?)

New tanks are under $100. With that $200 extra you can get a upgraded fuel pump.

I prob have $300 into my tank and it’s all new

Attachments

• AFA60764-52BA-4476-B5DE-7335E562CE78.jpeg
    AFA60764-52BA-4476-B5DE-7335E562CE78.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 107
It seems it would be a better idea to have this service done if the car and parts were rare/ hard to come by. This is not true for Foxes of course.

I don’t think my tank is in need of replacement . Some spots of corrosion but nothing that appears detrimental even long term. Baffle is solid and solidly in place. Thanks for the help all.

Put in a new tank, sending unit, filler gasket, new straps, vent and pump and bracket for a bit over 200.

I was looking at the refurbishment option just to keep the car original but with an upgrade for durability, which is my goal with this car. Parts being cheap and plentiful for these cars right now and probably the foreseeable future, that option is the most expensive by far. I already have a new sending unit, pump, hanger and filler gasket ready to go.

That "tape" was not present on my OEM gas tank when I dropped it.

Hmmmm. It’s an 89 and I’m only the second owner. No mention of a rear end collision or tank replacement and no evidence of it unless it happened really early in the cars life. All the parts I’ve pulled out are stamped accordingly with either a VIN sticker or Ford part no. A manufacturing change at some point? The story used cars could tell (outside the realm of Carfax).

Last edited:
I went back to look at photos of my tank when I removed it. I guess that tape was on the tank. I didn't replace it though.

Old tank
img_3839-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I imagine he's only talking about the strips of what looks like electrical tape, and not the actual padding. You can see in my pic I only have one tiny piece on the left side, and a small strip flapping in the breeze on the right side.