GAS TANK STRAPS REPLACING

Franke23

Jan 4, 2009
I've got a 1985 SVO and one of the gas tank straps just popped due to rust (scary). I have two new straps to replace both. However they did not come with instructions. Anyone know how to remove the straps? I know they bolt in on the one side, but the other side is my concern. How is the other side removed for replacing? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Frank

PS. I know this is the 5.0 section, but there are more people here and I figured there is a better chance someone on here will know. I had an 86 5.0 for 14 years, sold that and now have an 85 SVO. Gas tanks are the same as far as I know.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks, I found the pin this morning and knocked out that side without a problem. However the bolted side of the strap is giving me a problem. Its apparently screwed up into a mount on the other side of the frame and now its just spinning, the screw will not come loose. I have no way to get up around to the other side to hold the mount from spinning so now its turned into a bigger problem. Time to bring it in to the shop.

Thanks for the help though.

Regards,
Frank

Anyone know what type of mount these straps are screwed into? As I said in the previous message, the screw holding in the tank strap unscrewed about 3/4 of the way. Then felt like something broke loose and whatever its holding onto on the other side is now spinning and I cannot unscrew it further. Whats worse is I began to smell gas at the very end????? Did something snap on the other side of this and puncture the tank?

Anyone know what type of mount these straps are screwed into? As I said in the previous message, the screw holding in the tank strap unscrewed about 3/4 of the way. Then felt like something broke loose and whatever its holding onto on the other side is now spinning and I cannot unscrew it further. Whats worse is I began to smell gas at the very end????? Did something snap on the other side of this and puncture the tank?

Did you support the tank while doing this? You could have jarred loose the filler neck. Also the tanks are connected be clips with a thread welded in (this is the way my '88 is). You can buy them from ford for $5 a piece and then get the bolt from a hardware store.

Also you said that you could reach the other side of the strap bolt? Can you take pictures of what the 86 looks like? My 88 had a little 1"x1" hole so you could insert the clip.