Gas = The Death of Me - How Much are YOU Paying??

• Sponsors (?)

V8302stangs said:
Does anyone know if volatility is decreased as octane rating is increased, and when it is by how much?

That's what octane ratings are. The higher the octane rating, the less volatile it is. Higher grade burns slower. The number is a measure of how much pressure the fuel can take before it spontaniously ignites without spark (lower = more volatile). That's why you have to run higher grade in FI'd applications where the compression can get extremely high. 87 is $2.56 here right now. It's sure to be higher tonight.
Brandon

I just paid $2.49/gal for 87 octane. I drive on average 600-700 miles per week in my automatic focus ZX3. I have COMPLETELY changed the way I drive the car since I and not my company have to pay for my own car/gas/tires/etc. I do NOT run the air conditioning, I ensure my tires are pumped up, and I don't let the auto shift any higher than 3000rpms, I coast as much as possible (in terms of exiting off ramps, coming to stop signs, etc), I travel 67mph MAX now on the highways.... all this took me from getting approx. 290 miles per tank to a minimum of 350 miles per tank (best has been 388miles!), and at 600-700 mils a week that is approx. 100 "free" miles I get by doing so. This REALLY adds up. It's weird because for a while I didn't think I'd be able to change everything I did and stick with it, but now its like a contest I run against myself to see just how many miles I can get out of a tank of fuel. I'm averaging about 30mpg now, and although that might not seem all that good for a 4cyl focus, it is an auto and I carry a ton of crap with me (I'm in sales), and I make around 10-20 stops per day and that's just the stops I make to see my accounts, so I have little highway driving. I just removed about 50lbs from the car tonight in hopes of getting another coupe miles out of a tank. :lol:

BTW- I just filled up my gas cans here at the house so I have a whopping 7 gal sitting here that "only" cost me $2.49/gal... maybe that will make me feel better when I'm paying $3.00 a gal next week. :nonono:

diss expensive gas is cuttin into my beer money...cant be havin this.....i never bought my stang 2 save money on gas....i got it 2 outrun the lil 4 banger gas savers...hahahahah.....drive fast use more gas...my motto...now i have a big gas guzzlin impala...bad enough my wifes expedition takes 50-60 to fill up.....gotta love the US..... :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:

I live 2 mins from Six flags Great adventure. there are three gas stations competing to get all the new yorkers driving back home from there. Three weeks ago on a saturday night, i got gas for 2.05 for plus. The very next morning i went out there and gas was 2.98 for plus.

Everyonce and a while they get crazy and lower prices, so i go down there and check out the prices and try to lucky.

ROLLIN5.0 said:
That's what octane ratings are. The higher the octane rating, the less volatile it is. Higher grade burns slower. The number is a measure of how much pressure the fuel can take before it spontaniously ignites without spark (lower = more volatile). That's why you have to run higher grade in FI'd applications where the compression can get extremely high. 87 is $2.56 here right now. It's sure to be higher tonight.
Brandon

Considering that fact, would the fact that Ethanol is only about %73 as volatile as gasoline yet 105 octane make it in actuality close to 105 octane Gasoline? And, if that's the case, one might think that a car tuned to run on 105 octane gas, plus a few changes of course, could run pretty decently?

Filled up the F150 last night in Ashby, MA for 2.99 regular, 3.09 plus, and 3.19 for premium, and like 3.35 for the 94. This was Sunoco too, not some crappy gas station.

Paul, because you have to pay for your travel, how much of that can you write off for taxes? I only ask because there is the possibility that I will be doing a fair amount of driving for work soon that I will have to pay for, and I'll try anything to save some loot.

adam

yeah I highly recomend the book "Oil Factor" It talks about peak oil, oil resources, kinda an easy thing to read that covers a lot of what may be or will probably be coming, and also spends much of the book going into detail on how to make money investing considering the coming oil crisises. I've already made a few hundred bucks return in the stocks I've dabbledin since I read the book. It just makes sense - buy oil and it goes up in value - so you buy stocks in companies that, lets say own oil lands or whatever, and you get money.