Gear and rear set ups. Where to buy good stuff

CBZGT50

Apr 21, 2005
St Louis area
I am looking into replacing my rear end with a locker and installing a set of 3.73's.

I need to know, FROM EXPERIENCE, what locker and axles are great for a daily driver keeping the budget under $800:

So far I am looking at an eaton posi: 399 (31 spline), 5 lug 31 spline rear axles (maker unknown) $121 each and set up, bearings, seals, etc.

I am really looking to eventually adding better tranny and engine in my 95 Cobra, but I want to put the 3.73's in first. I already have the gear set up kit.

All I need is axles, diff locker chunk for 8.8 31 spline and the axle seals/bearings. Anyone wanna give me a setup for a less than 500 hp street car, daily driver. I really don't want to spend money on detroit locker or ARB locker.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

CBZGT50 said:
I am looking into replacing my rear end with a locker and installing a set of 3.73's.

I need to know, FROM EXPERIENCE, what locker and axles are great for a daily driver keeping the budget under $800:

So far I am looking at an eaton posi: 399 (31 spline), 5 lug 31 spline rear axles (maker unknown) $121 each and set up, bearings, seals, etc.

All I need is axles, diff locker chunk for 8.8 31 spline and the axle seals/bearings. Anyone wanna give me a setup for a less than 500 hp street car, daily driver. I really don't want to spend money on detroit locker or ARB locker.

Thanks

Your set up you listed sounds good. I went with 31 spline Mosers and an Explorer 31 spline rear diff. I paid 660 for labor, parts, bearings, fluid, everything start to finish. It is a pretty hard hooking rear end now. It feels real good. It is great for daily driving. It does not chirp the tires around corners or anything, so it has good manners when normal driving, but the durability is there when I need to use it.