Gear Installation Quote.....check this out!!

95CobraMike

Apr 12, 2004
Lima OH
i have a set of ford racing gears that have been sitting here for about 6 months and i finally want to put them in.
i went to the local muffler/car repair shop which is the BEST exhaust place around.
i told them that i wanted my gears put in, my Romac harmonic balancer put on, and i also have an exhaust rattle where the pipe bends over the axle in the back....

for all 3 of those things he quoted me at $200-225!!! that is unless they have to do something to the bearings or something, but i was suprised! i was going to figure like $400+ for all that

:nice: thumbs up for Benroth's repair shop of Vaughnsville Ohio!!

• Sponsors (?)

That's not too bad at all. I'm in the same boat, had the gears since Feb. and still haven't got them in. I know a guys who's going to do it for me for $90, the only catch is I have to wait untill July 9th. Gives me a chance to enjoy the gas mileage while I can though... :(

Not trying to burst your bubble or anything....:D

"Best" exhaust shop does not mean "qualified" rear-end/driveline mechanics.

Setting up a rear is by far the hardest thing to do to a car (mechanically speaking). I would jump for joy if I got a good price on a swap on spark plugs or a deal if I didn't change my own oil. I would wonder if I got that low of a quote to get my gears installed, nonetheless get other work done as well.

Just a thought....

Joe

That is very cheap for the install. Balancer is pretty simple install. 1hr at the most. .5 to fix exhaust rattle. 3.0 for the gears.. That is a very fair price.

FMS gears on a 8.8 are a piece of cake. If he doesn't have to swap the carrier/pinion bearings, the gear swap is very simple.

But if you have to swap carrier bearings or the pinion bearing, backlash and pinion depth will need to be adjusted, which means you will need to change out the carrier shims. The pinion shim thickness will likely not change much, but if it does, you need a shim kit which is extra too.
Scott

BEWARE OF CHEAP INSTALL PRICES ON GEARS... Take it from me, basically paid what it would have cost me at a good shop and now here I am 11 weeks, 2000 miles later and I still don't know if they are right or not... I basically paid install 2 times and then worked on them myself...

FMS gears... do it yourself, take a day out of work if you have to it is better than paying someone to do shoddy work on your car...

Chris

this guy has done 100+ rear gear installs, i'm really not worried about it....

why would you not have issues in the beginning, but maybe 1000-2000 miles later?

i think ill let him do it since i have never done it and i know i dont have the right tools and he has done it many many times so i trust him more than i do myself at this point.

Basically for me since mine ahve now been altered 3 times in 2k miles I have to wait for the gears to wear into each other before I know if they are getting louder or quieter.

For others saying to wait 1k miles that is jsut beacuse if the set-up is margin al (not enough torque on pinion, too much tourque on pinion, other bearings etc. There are a lot of things that could wear very quick if set-up incorrectly.

Chris

A shop with a good rep that's done rearends....Sounds good to me, sounds like the guys not out to make a killing on you either.... :nice:
Odd's are he's done Fords and knows there pretty tit to swap over...

needless to say, i am pumped..... i've had these 400+ hp caged up since i bought the car....it still has the 3.08's in it.... i cant wait!!!

if he does it wrong, he will fix it until its right, with no more cost to me... or i'll drive my car up his a$$ :D
i'm kidding, but if its not right, i'll make him do it right