Gear Ratio Recommendations

I checked the ratio on my 8" and I have 3.00:1 gears. Now, I don't exactly light up the pavement around here...but my car is going more restomod and custom than high performance(if that makes sense). With my C4 it revs about 3300 on the highway, which is terrible on my gas mileage; however, I am not sure that I want to mess with the gearing.

Recommendations? I do not ever plan to race it or take it to the track, but like everyone, power is addicting. What do you suggest to strike a balance between performance and driveability?

• Sponsors (?)

:lol: If you want decent MPG then stay away from the 4.11's. I only spin about 2600 on the freeway going like 75mph, but that is with the aid of OD from the T-5. I get about 8-9 mpg now, but I would expect that to go up a good amount if I drove it a little more civililized (still havent had enough of 4.11's + T-5 + a fast reving motor :D). Also, notice I said fast reving motor. If you get low gears like 4.11's, you better have a motor that like to whined up fast, or else you'll have a Mustang that can pull like a dumptruck. :notnice:

65fastback2+2 said:
your 3.00 should run about 2600 on a c4 at 70mph, i dunno why its revving so high

Well, RPM's would be directly affected by wheel size, yes? I have 255/40/17's which put the diameter at about 29. According to that handy calculator linked above, I should be revving around 3025 at 75 MPH with that size tire and 3.00:1 gears...

65fastback2+2 said:
in this case, the max speed your car would achieve :p
Are you insinuating that my car would only go 55 mph with 4.11 gears and 25" tall tires?

Well I'll have you know that by spinning to 9k rpm, I could top 62 mph!

J/K
Can we hijack this thread any worse!?!
Sorry,
Dave

69PaleHorse said:
Well, RPM's would be directly affected by wheel size, yes? I have 255/40/17's which put the diameter at about 29. According to that handy calculator linked above, I should be revving around 3025 at 75 MPH with that size tire and 3.00:1 gears...

That RPM should be about right but your tire diameter is only 25".