?...gears confuse me...?

mustangphilly

Oct 28, 2008
hi everybody,

im getting really confused. i have a 2007 v6 with a s/c, stage 2 centerforce clutch and my driveshaft is on order. im thinking the next thing i want to do is the rear end gears. i dont know what the stick gears are and i dont understand what changing them to say a 4.10 or 3.55 or a 3.73 will change. haha although i know it changes something. alsot whats the deal with the 8.8" rear end mods. what is that exactly. please help. im becoming lost. thank you

• Sponsors (?)

The stock V6 rear end is a 7.5" ring gear. fine for econo cars, but not high performance. the V8 cars use an 8.8" ring gear which is stronger.

Gear ratio selection will depend on a few factors. is this a track car? or mostly street driven? what type of supercharger is on it? a centri blower will need a different gear than a roots/twin screw.

the higher (numerically) the ratio, the quicker the acceleration. it will also limit your top speed. this will also create a traction problem. lower (numerically) will offer better economy for highway cruising.

i dont know what ratio the V6 cars got from the factory, but i would assume 3.31s. upgrading to 3.55s would not be worth the cost, IMO. even 3.73s would be a toss up, when weighing the cost/benefit. now, if you had 3.55s stock, then i would leave them as is with the supercharger.

the easiest way to tell what the ratio is to look on the rear differential cover. there is a white sticker that tells you the ratio.

3.27 is stock for auto v6 mustangs in 06 and 07 at least. I think they were lower for the manuals....Off the top of my head I think they are 2.73 stock unless you got an upgrade at the factory.

If you're at 2.73, I'd go at least up to 3.73 if not 4.10 for a v6. Bigcat is right though as different superchargers will act differently. I know at newtakeoff.com you can get an 8.8 w/trac-lok and 4.10 gears for right at $1000 clams. Definitely worth it at that price.

3.27 is stock for auto v6 mustangs in 06 and 07 at least. I think they were lower for the manuals....Off the top of my head I think they are 2.73 stock unless you got an upgrade at the factory.

If you're at 2.73, I'd go at least up to 3.73 if not 4.10 for a v6. Bigcat is right though as different superchargers will act differently. I know at newtakeoff.com you can get an 8.8 w/trac-lok and 4.10 gears for right at $1000 clams. Definitely worth it at that price.

Stock gears for an 05-09 V6 are 3:31 both auto and manual

I'm planning on putting 3.73 gears in my 09' V6, this is because I still drive my car a lot on the highway and I don't want to lose all of my good gas mileage lol, this is also going to be after the exhaust, cold air, tune and suspension I'm putting on it, it really is hard to decide on what to work on after those first 3 though because I like my cars to be pretty even on performance and handling lol.