Gears vs. Tbody/Plenum vs. Tune

LI98GTStang

Founding Member
Jun 22, 2000
L.I., NY
Which would you choose, given they are all approx. the same dollar amount? I plan to get all eventually, but only have the money for one now. Oh yeah, throw in a set of front Cobra brakes in there also.

Some background, I have PI cams and PI intake (tune should help), stock (optional) 3.27 gears and want to get 3:90s from Motive and the tbody/Plenum should add some more power on it's own.

• Sponsors (?)

I would go with gears, atleast thats what I'm doing very soon. Hey I have a PI intake and I just picked up some PI cams how much of an improvement did you feel with that combo? Everyone does the PI headswap and I decided to do the cams and intake manifold rather then the heads, did you feel a good gain?

NPIGT said:
I would go with gears, atleast thats what I'm doing very soon. Hey I have a PI intake and I just picked up some PI cams how much of an improvement did you feel with that combo? Everyone does the PI headswap and I decided to do the cams and intake manifold rather then the heads, did you feel a good gain?

It is a lot easier and cheaper to do than the full headswap and you can always reuse the PI intake later on if you later on decide to go full swap. With the PI cams/intake combo I got about a 17rwhp gain from dynos I've had done. And yes, felt a good gain. Doesn't fall flat at 5krpm anymore and torque is up across the board with the PI cams.

LI98GTStang said:
Thanks for the input! Gears and speedo are ordered. I'm gonna have the gears installed by a shop, but I guess I've got some reading to do on speedcal switch settings.
You will NOT regret it! Just make sure to take it easy on them for the first few hundred miles. That should be enough to break them in properly.

fiveofanatic said:
If you ordered it from Dallas Mustangs, they'll set it up for you.

Sorry, no I didn't. I ordered from the same place as the gears and believe it or not, the package already arrived. Fast!

Thanks for all the gear votes - make me feel much more confident in the decision. Hope to have them installed by the end of next week or worst case mid April.

LI98GTStang said:
Which would you choose, given they are all approx. the same dollar amount? I plan to get all eventually, but only have the money for one now. Oh yeah, throw in a set of front Cobra brakes in there also.

Some background, I have PI cams and PI intake (tune should help), stock (optional) 3.27 gears and want to get 3:90s from Motive and the tbody/Plenum should add some more power on it's own.
Ive read that 3:55 get's u a .1, 3:37's/.2, 3:90's/.3, 4:10's/.4 and 4:30's/.5 reductions in the 1/4 mile...with good tires. I wish i'd put 4:30's in mine.

big T said:
Ive read that 3:55 get's u a .1, 3:37's/.2, 3:90's/.3, 4:10's/.4 and 4:30's/.5 reductions in the 1/4 mile...with good tires. I wish i'd put 4:30's in mine.

Yours in an auto and mine is a 5sp., so our experiences would be different with gears. I'm not so much a 1/4 miler, and have driven so far all on the street. Not any close tracks here. I'm am planning on taking it to both 1/4 and road course tracks in the future though and hope I'm happy with the 3:90s, but time will tell. I agonized, as we all do, with which ones to go with and was shooting for an all around good gear that I could use on the (mostly)street/highway/quarter mile and road course. Too much to ask - I know.